• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fathers rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mcnabb5

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
My wifes daughter is 16 years old. Her biological father has never been told that he has a daughter. Her birth certificate was left with no fathers name. I had my name put on the birth certificate. Can we get in trouble for this?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Whatever made either of you think that you had the right to deny not only the father of knowing his child, but also denying the child from knowing her father?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Apparently he was just fine to sleep with, though. :rolleyes:

Basically, the two of you have committed fraud. Whether that's pursued or not depends on the circumstances. Does the child know you're not her biofather?

mcnabb5

Yes, the child knows and she wants to meet her father. I want to know if I should obtain legal counsel before we try to contact the biofather?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It's never a bad idea, but unless Mom is planning on trying to get support from him, he may not pursue the fraudulent birth certificate. Expect that he'll want a DNA test. And hope that he's interested in meeting the child.

lcronk03

mcnabb5 said:
What is the name of your state? New Jersey
My wifes daughter is 16 years old. Her biological father has never been told that he has a daughter. Her birth certificate was left with no fathers name. I had my name put on the birth certificate. Can we get in trouble for this?
Thank you for asking this, my son is only two and I was looking to do the same thing, someone told me that it would be considered fraud with out adoption, what did you find out?

T

titansfan

to icronk03

DO NOT FRUADUATLEY PUT SOMEONE ELSES NAME ON THE BC! it could come back to bite you on the butt later. if the bio parent finds out, you and your spouse could get into trouble, not to mention losing custody of the child/ren.yes it would be fraud, you both know the man is not the father.

Shay-Pari'e

titansfan said:
DO NOT FRUADUATLEY PUT SOMEONE ELSES NAME ON THE BC! it could come back to bite you on the butt later. if the bio parent finds out, you and your spouse could get into trouble, not to mention losing custody of the child/ren.yes it would be fraud, you both know the man is not the father.
Really? I think that was already established. :rolleyes: Do you ever actually have anything NEW to add, or just repeat what Stealth usually says?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">