• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fathers Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jlg20009

Am giving my unborn daughter up for adotion, am already the mother of a 16 month old. The father does not help at all with our 16 month old daughter so i do not feel he will be much help with our second child if i were to keep her. SO i found her a very good home and loving family who are more than willing to take her. The young girls will even grow up knowing that they are sisters! But he objects. He wants me to try and take care of them... (( How do you ""try"" a baby out?? )) SO i'm curious to what rights he has to this unborn child. I had planned on not putting him on the birth certificate saying that the father was unknown...

Gracie3787

Am giving my unborn daughter up for adotion, am already the mother of a 16 month old. The father does not help at all with our 16 month old daughter so i do not feel he will be much help with our second child if i were to keep her. SO i found her a very good home and loving family who are more than willing to take her. The young girls will even grow up knowing that they are sisters! But he objects. He wants me to try and take care of them... (( How do you ""try"" a baby out?? )) SO i'm curious to what rights he has to this unborn child. I had planned on not putting him on the birth certificate saying that the father was unknown...
I could ask you a bunch of questions, including asking if paternity has been established for your older child.

However, the best advice anyone can give you is that you NEED to hire an attorney before you do anything. He has the right to file in court to establish paternity, and you will not be able to allow an adoption without father's agreement or a court order.

j991

Agreed with the other posts. I also caution you to be careful when filling out the birth certificate. If you put unknown for the father and there is substational evidence that the guy is the father there can be consequence for attempting to defraud him out of his natural paternity rights as the father.

You need to find a lawyer. An attorney can help you petition the court for an order allowing you to adopt the unborn child due to his failure to provide for the family, but it can get complicated. Talk to CPS about getting an attorney for low costs, or maybe ask the adopting family the situation to see if they can finicially support the legal process.

momofrose

You are "placing the baby for adoption" NOT "giving it up".

Saying the father is "unknown" and is FRAUD!!!

From where did you find this fmily? I can't imagine an attornye advised you to put "unknown" on the b/c and I am sure he has given you all facts regarding paternity and the birth father being able to contest the adoption. Does the possible adoptive family know of this issue? Because it is HUGE and unfair to the adoptive family if they do not know that this child could be taken from them if the birth father wants to excerise his rights (which he most certainly can).

My advice - find a birthparent advocate and adoption attorney (these are no costs to you if placing a child) - the adoptive family pays for the attorney costs.

BE HONEST!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">