• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fees and questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

adowell

I have been married for almost 2 years and have two children. My daughter is from a previous relationship in which the bio father has never seen her or wanted anything to do with her. Nor is he on the birth certificate. My husband is wanting to adopt her. We don't know where to begin. We were wonder approximately how much it cost for the whole process?? We are currently stationed in Germany and don't have access to actual lawyers and people of that nature except via internet. What can we do to get started, so when we get back to the states, we can complete this? Please help and thanks in advance.

LegalBeagle

adowell said:
I have been married for almost 2 years and have two children. My daughter is from a previous relationship in which the bio father has never seen her or wanted anything to do with her. Nor is he on the birth certificate. My husband is wanting to adopt her. We don't know where to begin. We were wonder approximately how much it cost for the whole process?? We are currently stationed in Germany and don't have access to actual lawyers and people of that nature except via internet. What can we do to get started, so when we get back to the states, we can complete this? Please help and thanks in advance.
The US currently has no jurisdiction over the children. You need to return to the US, establish residency and then file. The longer it goes that the father is out of the picture, the easier it is to complete the adoption. Does the father even know about the kids ?

A

adowell

We are legal residents of Ohio and so is my daughter. The father does know of her, but doesn't care. In fact, I have no idea where he is. There is nothing we can do to get things started?? And how much does the whole things cost?

MySonsMom

When I was doing an adoption of my step son, the total cost would have been about $1000. (including retainer) If it's a non contested adoption, it should go really smooth.

Good luck!

A

adowell

My husband and I are both in the military and are stationed in Germany. Are legal residence is Ohio. That is where our permanent address is and where we file taxes. We don't leave here till August 2003, that is why we want to do what we can now.

LegalBeagle

adowell said:
My husband and I are both in the military and are stationed in Germany. Are legal residence is Ohio. That is where our permanent address is and where we file taxes. We don't leave here till August 2003, that is why we want to do what we can now.
So what happens when you have the bio dad served and he decides to take an active interest in the child. You are going to struggle to fight it from Germany. He files for visitation, states you ran off with his child, files for custody etc.. All the time you are in Germany..

Are there custody orders in place or Child Support ? Did you get permission from a judge regarding taking the children out of the US ?

I am not trying to mess with you.. but I seriously think you should leave things alone until you return to the US.

A

adowell

I don't see how he would fight. He isn't on the birth certificate, so how can he? What if I was a person who slept around and wasn't sure who the father was? I mean, I wasn't, I know that my daughter is his. He is in the military as well. In fact, my daughter was born in Turkey. We were stationed there together. He told me from the start that he wanted nothing to do with me and then was stationed in Italy. I think he is somewhere in Germany now as well, but have not tried to contact him in almost 2 years. So, what right does he have. Can they really make me track this man down to which no paternity has been established for him as the father, and make hin sign things? That doesn't sound right. He could be dead for all I know. What would happen now?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">