• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fiance's Ex, Claims New Hubby adopted Son with no notification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tdmrlw020704

What is the name of your state? Georgia/Florida
My fiance resided in Fl. while married to his ex, and they had a son together in florida, they were separated in either 1995 or 1996 and have since divorced....his son is now 9yrs old.....a few years ago he took a job in Wisconsin for two years, during that time he tried to stay in contact with his son, even came down to Florida for 3wks when his son was in the hospital.............he has been living in Ga for two years now.....and hasnt seen his son in 1 1/2 years, she gives false addresses and phone numbers, she refused to go to Madison from "Ft Lauderdale" for thanksgiving last year to see her grandmother because she knew he would be there to see his son........finally she agreed to let him see the boy this april during spring break or easter....well easter passed....spring break was near (he wasnt sure when the exact week would be) around the time he called her grandmother's house and his ex's new hubby answered the phone and refused to let him speak to either his ex or his son..claimed it would confuse the boy...and in a by the way manner informed my fiance that he had adopted his son without a signature....claimed they sent notification to a Pinetta Fl P.O. Box, and she knew he had been living in Ga for atleast 2years...claimed they put notification in Florida Paper (both places they knew he would not get the notices if they were even sent)...but after the convo.....they were in madison which was only 30min away....so he headed that way to see his son whether the liked it or not....half way there he called again......and they had already packed their bags and left....does this not sound a little peculiar?...he's thinking of filing kidnapping charges or something........
the problem is the only legal agreement that they ever had was a verbal agreement for visitation in front of a lawyer...and he's been paying Child Support through HRS in florida wich she has refused over 20times and is on file at the office....WHAT CAN WE DO??????????

nextwife

I AM CONFUSED as to HOW a court in FL could determine your whereabouts were unknown as Floride CSE is and has been collecting CS from you? Certainly I would write for copies of ALL courrt documents RE: the step parent adoption. I would be very curious as to WHAT representations were made regarding knowledge pof your whereabouts. Do you have correspondence from her to your address at that time? Can you get copies of phone records showing she called your home during that time? Certainly if you can establish perjury (for example, any court records in which she claims to have no knowledge of your wherabouts), that might be one basis to pursue overturning any step adoption in which you were not served.

Just thinking out loud.

Good luck

T

tdmrlw020704

thanks for info

NextWife thanx for your info........
we do have proof that she did not make a diligent effort to locate him (which is required by Florida Statute, which i found a lovely internet page with all of the florida laws with reference numbers and printed out 36pages to give to my fiance) she knows where his sister lives and knows his sister's phone number and she never contacted his sister....and as of right now we are unsure as to how true the adoption is...we havent checked with the courts yet...she wont provide any info to us...her new husband didnt even have the guts to call my fiance back to let him know if he could see his son or not...he had to call them back which was when he found out they were already gone......
But with the papers that i printed out i feel we have a chance.......she would have had to have his parental rights terminated which is impossible due to her not performing search, she also would have had to shown documentation that she used all possible resources....she has to prove that she used an internet search, proof that she went through county tax assesors, verified his employment, has to have documentation that she went through the U.S. postal service to obtain all his address, proof that she contacted the State Driver's License dept......etc................so i think we can nail her to the wall...and also we can charge her with PAS (Parental Alienation Syndrome) in which she is denying all contact between father and son and trying to make child forget father...............................................................so if you ever come across anyone that needs this info...............email me and i can give the web address.

nextwife

Good luck.

As to checking out whether she is merely talking when she claims a step adoption, your fiancee can check the county she lives in to see if anything is of record. Several counties in FL have online record services.

IF the ex claims that there was a step adoption, he can tell her to send a copy of something from the court that terminated his parental rights. That otherwise, he is the father and her stating otherwise is not evidence of any change to the contrary. Has he filed contempt if she is in violation of the court order? Or was visitation informal?

T

tdmrlw020704

where the prob gets bigger

that's where the prob gets bigger, we cant do a contempt charge due to his visitation was a verbal agreement in front of a lawyer not written or court ordered........................................................
but thanx for your advice we will look into the adoption records in her county and "if" we can ever get in contact with her, which i am utilizing an internet search protocol to find her location, we will request proof of her allegations..............................................and if she doesnt provide proof................this is just one of those "anger induced" thoughts, you know ones that come in a gust of wind and leave with the second gust........i just wonder if somehow he can file something like a kidnapping charge since they are keeping their whereabouts unkown to him?....as i said a gust of wind thought..

right now i am doing alot of research on my own since we cant afford an attorney at the moment,,,,,but im trying to find out info that i can hand to the attorney to sort of boost the case along once we do get one........................................................................
and if he does find out that all this is a bunch of lies just to try to defer him from trying to see his son....once we are married in February....he's going to file for full or partial custody.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">