• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FL Law on Child Last Name Change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Texgal

What is the name of your state? Florida

My daughter is 14 years old. I was never married to her biological father, however I gave her his last name when she was born. He hasn't seen her in over 11 years. I have no idea where he is now. My husband and I have been married 12 years. My question is how do I go about changing my daughter's last name? Is there any way I can do this without contacting the bio father?

crystaly

Texgal said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

My daughter is 14 years old. I was never married to her biological father, however I gave her his last name when she was born. He hasn't seen her in over 11 years. I have no idea where he is now. My husband and I have been married 12 years. My question is how do I go about changing my daughter's last name? Is there any way I can do this without contacting the bio father?
No, the biological father has to be contacted if there is a name change.

S

shell007

I googled and found this: http://www.uslegalforms.com/florida-name-change.htm

Must the parent(s) of the minor agree to the name change?
If the Petition is presented by only one parent, the Petitioner must give notice of the action to the other parent. This is done by serving a copy of the Petition upon the parent and filing proof of service with the court. If the missing parent is a non-resident, the court may authorize constructive service with proof of publication being filed with the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">