• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FL - Stepchild Adoption - No Forms??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

picolio

What is the name of your state? Florida

The biofather wants to terminate his parental rights to allow "their dad", my husband of the last 6 years to adopt all three of the children.

The forms required to do this are supposed to be available at http://www.FLcourts.org However, some of the laws were changed on May 30th of 2003 and the Supreme Court has not released the "new forms" yet.

ADOPTION STATUTES – HB 835 (Mahon) & HB 1017 (House Procedures): Amends portions of Chapter 63 applying to stepchild adoptions; revises definitions including unmarried biological father; revises the adoption disclosure form; creates Florida Putative Father Registry and requires search of registry prior to adoption under certain circumstances; changes date to contest judgment terminating parental rights from 2 years to 1 year. HB 1017 provides that the 2003 Florida Statutes shall be in effect immediately upon enactment and repeals every statute enacted at or prior to the April 29-May 13, 2002 Special Session, but shall not affect any right accrued before such repeal or any civil remedy where a suit is pending. The Conference supported this bill.
I have exhausted everything I can think of trying to figure out what form the bio father will need to fill out to terminate his rights. I fear if he fills out "the old form" a judge may reject it since the "new changes" are not included.

To complicate the matter, the bio father is leaving for Iraq in the beginning of January and is currently stationed in Washington State... Time is short to get him the correct form. By mid December he may not be able to do anything at all and he wont be back in the states for AT LEAST one year.

Does ANYONE have a copy of the "form he will need" to satisfy a Seminole County Florida court to file for the "Petition to Terminate Parental Rights Pending Stepparent Adoption"???? I can pay for the form but was hoping to complete the adoption process on our own since "everyone is in agreement" about the situation. I just need that one CURRENT form to get to the biodad before he leaves ..and I cannot seem to obtain it :(

Help???

P

picolio

Yes, in two countys.... as well as calling the the Orange County Bar, the FL State Bar, Seminole County Legal Aid, 1-800-96-ADOPT, etc etc...

The court houses say they only have what's available at FLcourts.org... bar said the supreme court has not released them yet, 1-800-96-ADOPT asked me to let them know if I found out and all agreed that w/o the forms I may have to pay an attorney (tried calling a few of them yesterday but was greeted with thanksgiving machines so wont be able to try again until Monday).

I find it hard to believe "no one" has a template for the termination petition outside of paying an attorney to 'take the case' but I have been unsuccessful in finding one and a bit surprised by the inability of the courthouse to assist in obtaining a form :/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">