• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

GA Step-parent adoption - petition filing ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jenndga

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

We are in the process of starting the paperwork for my husband to adopt my two children. The children both have the same biological/legal father. Can I complete one petition for the both of them combined into one adoption? Or do I need to file a separate petition for each child?

I have scoured the GA statute on adoption and cannot find any information where it specifies one way or the other, although it always refers to the adoptee as "the child", not child(ren). I have read that I can put both children on one, but I am curious if anyone has any experience in doing so.

Thank you for any help!

Last edited:

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

We are in the process of starting the paperwork for my husband to adopt my two children. The children both have the same biological/legal father. Can I complete one petition for the both of them combined into one adoption? Or do I need to file a separate petition for each child?

I have scoured the GA statute on adoption and cannot find any information where it specifies one way or the other, although it always refers to the adoptee as "the child", not child(ren). I have read that I can put both children on one, but I am curious if anyone has any experience in doing so.

Thank you for any help!
because adoption laws can be very confusing and one tiny little mistake can cause HUGE problems, it's always best to hire an attorney.
However, if you don't want to, or can't hire one, you need to at least get a consult with an adoption attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">