• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gaurdianship of a Child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SFox66

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I have been married for the second time and my current husband has adopted my children (and I likewise his). It has come about that my oldest son, who is sixteen, has decided to live with his biological father. How do I provide him the rights to provide medical care and education without going through another adoption? Can I just assign the ex-husband gaurdianship over my son?

Thank you for your advise in advance.

M

Multimom

In the State of Texas all that would be required is a Power of Attorney to Appoint a Temporary Guardian of a Minor Child, however I do question the wisdom of allowing a 16 yo to live with a man who was willing to wave his parental rights to allow your present husband to adopt the child.

My son will never be given that option and He is 14 and doesn't want it. He has no affection for his biological father and that is not an easy bond to build.

If your son has not had any long term contact with his biological father, I don't think it would be wise to grant temporary guardianship. I would provide him with a medical release and that's it.

Giving him guardianship allows him to act in totallity as a parent and it does not require him to consult with you in any matter. That's not the kind of ground I would want to relinquish.

I'm not sure what the laws are in your state.

I

italiamom

Before you allow your son's biological father the privilage of caring for your son I would really investigate why your son wants to go live with him. I have a 15 yr old that I adopted as a step parent and if it ever came to the point that he would ask to move in with his bio mom I am sure it would have to do with him thinking that he could get over on her better than he can with me and his father. To answer your question if you give gaurdianship you are giving his father the leagal grounds to act unilaterally. This is a huge decision especially at this point in your sons life. He will a lot of parental help in the next few years for things such as college and car loans. Personally I feel that this is a lot of responsibility to give to a man that gave his son away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">