• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting cusody of my daughter back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tattoonate

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona
My mother took custody of my daughter when she was born since then my mother past and my sister adopted my daughter. my daughter has not lived with my sister for 3 or 4 years (she lives with me and my husband) and i would like to get custody of my daughter back but my sister will not sign paper what do i do

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My mother took custody of my daughter when she was born since then my mother past and my sister adopted my daughter. my daughter has not lived with my sister for 3 or 4 years (she lives with me and my husband) and i would like to get custody of my daughter back but my sister will not sign paper what do i do
If your sister adopted your daughter then you no longer have a daughter.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Why have you been raising your niece? Why was she removed from your care at birth? Did your mother adopt the child, or become her legal guardian? Why did you not petition to adopt/become her guardian at the time of your Mom's passing? Some additional information will help us provide you with assistance.

Just Blue

Please answer ALL questions asked. It is important to assist you...Thanks!:)

tattoonate

Why have you been raising your niece? Why was she removed from your care at birth? Did your mother adopt the child, or become her legal guardian? Why did you not petition to adopt/become her guardian at the time of your Mom's passing? Some additional information will help us provide you with assistance.
well we dont look at her nor treat her as my niece, she is my daughter. my mom was try to help me through a rough time in my life and she became her legal guardian then when she passed i did not have anything so my sister adopted her. my sister has 3 children of her own 2 which have moved out and a teen girl who requiers all of her time and so when my daughter terned 8 she moved in with me an my husband and has lived with us for4 years. my sister recives a check for her every month and has not used any of it towards anything for her so i told her to please sign the papers but she is ging me a hard time

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
well we dont look at her nor treat her as my niece, she is my daughter. my mom was try to help me through a rough time in my life and she became her legal guardian then when she passed i did not have anything so my sister adopted her. my sister has 3 children of her own 2 which have moved out and a teen girl who requiers all of her time and so when my daughter terned 8 she moved in with me an my husband and has lived with us for4 years. my sister recives a check for her every month and has not used any of it towards anything for her so i told her to please sign the papers but she is ging me a hard time
Here is the problem: It doesn't matter WHAT you consider this child, legally she IS NOT your child. You have to sue your sister for custody of her daughter. Then you can sue her for child support. Oh and if your sister adopted WITH her husband, you have to sue both of them.

ecmst12

Are you certain she was adopted? You signed papers terminating your parental rights forever? You had a lawyer representing you who explained exactly what you were doing and what it meant?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">