• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting fathers name put on the birth certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

foxyroxymomma

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? North Carolina
My son was born in May of 2003. We didn't have his father's name put on the birth certificate because we had only been together for almost a year at the time of his birth and were uncertain of our future. We have stayed together the whole time. We are planning on getting married in two months. He has supported us from the start. How can I get the father's name put on the birth certificate?

danotoriouseyes

I believe you can go to your Vital Records office (wherever you get copies of birth certificates) and ask how you can make corrections to your childs birth certificate. Hope I helped some!

foxyroxymomma

I found out how to get the birth certificate corrected. We simply have to go out to the Department of Social Services, fill out an application, and dad has to sign an affidavit (sp?). Thats about it (or all they told me). We are hoping to get this done by the end of this month (they didn't mention any waiting period). Now I need to know how to get my son's last name changed so that it will be the same as his dad's (and mine whenever we get married). I asked the person I talked to about the birth certificate but they weren't sure. Thanks for your help.

brisgirl825

When did my son's name, we had the name change papers in withe affidavit. Then we sent those to the vital statistics office and the SS office. Our papers were done at the court house though. So maybe you should call your county court house and ask about the name change paperwork.

Sarah

bubbles4111

You can do it at the same place you simply have to change his ssn card there is a place on teh form to change names i know because when i went to get my name changed because i got married a mother was in there changing her sons name

VeronicaGia

foxyroxymomma said:
I found out how to get the birth certificate corrected. We simply have to go out to the Department of Social Services, fill out an application, and dad has to sign an affidavit (sp?). Thats about it (or all they told me). We are hoping to get this done by the end of this month (they didn't mention any waiting period). Now I need to know how to get my son's last name changed so that it will be the same as his dad's (and mine whenever we get married). I asked the person I talked to about the birth certificate but they weren't sure. Thanks for your help.
Why don't you wait until you're married and then change the birth certificate and the child's name?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">