• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparent adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NikkiS

What is the name of your state? FL

We have "temporary grandparent custody" of our 9 year old grandson, since he was two years old. His mother (our daughter) and father (now incarcerated) were never married. The father never paid child support, was never a part of his life, has not seen him since about age 3. The father did not show up for the grandparent custody hearing. Our daughter no longer lives with us, moved out a little over a year ago. We are and have been sole providers for everything for the child since he was born. Do we have to get the father to surrender parental rights or give consent for us to adopt? Our daughter would do so, the father is doubtful.

Nocgirl

It is possible your daughter might be able to get his rights surrendered based on abandoment but unless she is remarried and the stepfather is willing to adopt, probably bot going to happen.

shamock

surrender parntal rights

I am going through the same thing that you are going through and it has been one thing after another getting my two grandchildern adopted...My daughter is the one that is giving me the run around. The fathers have both gave up all there rights. In Florida the fathers do have to surrender there rights I think that he will have to as well. My daughter was not married to either of the fathers but they had a right to adopt there children....My daughter is in jail for drugs and other reason unknown.
I have also had my grandchildren for 2 years and still don`t have them adopted. I am having to go through the state to get them. But soon I should have them both adopted now that they know where my daughter.
I know that they will not let her have the children.
Hope that things go well for you!
Patty

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">