• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparent Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

armywife79

What is the name of your state? KY

Just a quick question that I am hoping that someone may please be able to help me with. My husband and his ex girlfriend went to court along with grandparents (moms parents) back in Dec 2004. Grandparents got legal guardiansip of daughter whom is now 5 yrs old due to mother abanding child and fathers upcomming deployment to Iraq. Father will be home in Aug/Sept time frame (we hope) and we all go back to court this coming Dec 06. We being me and my husband have heard rumours that the grandparents are now wanting to adopt 5 yr old child as there own. Are they able to do this when father is not willing to sign over his rights at all..

LdiJ

armywife79 said:
What is the name of your state? KY

Just a quick question that I am hoping that someone may please be able to help me with. My husband and his ex girlfriend went to court along with grandparents (moms parents) back in Dec 2004. Grandparents got legal guardiansip of daughter whom is now 5 yrs old due to mother abanding child and fathers upcomming deployment to Iraq. Father will be home in Aug/Sept time frame (we hope) and we all go back to court this coming Dec 06. We being me and my husband have heard rumours that the grandparents are now wanting to adopt 5 yr old child as there own. Are they able to do this when father is not willing to sign over his rights at all..
The grandparents would have to prove dad unfit enough that a judge would be willing to terminate dad's parental rights involuntarily. The odds of that happening are slim to none.

armywife79

Thanks

Thanks for that, It was just that we had heard these things and seen as the grandparents will have had legal guardianship of the minor for 2 yrs we were not sure.. So thanks alot for clearing that up for us. I dont think they will be able to show him unfir seen as hes been in iraq the past yr and all..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">