• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparent Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hismother

What is the name of your state? CA
My son (19), and his girlfriend (17 in Jan 2008), have decided that they will not be able to raise their unborn child, and have asked that I adopt it. The baby is due in approximately 6 weeks. The baby's mother is in a state run group home, and has been in the foster care system most of her life. She is being transferred to another group home in another county today. Both she and my son have asked that I adopt the baby, and I am very willing to do so.

Assuming that paternity is established, how do I proceed? Which county should I contact? She was told that she will return to this county to deliver the baby. What does the process entail? Would I take responsibility from the birth?

seniorjudge

This "routine" (to a lawyer who does such stuff all the time) so you need to be finding a good lawyer who does such stuff all the time.

It is not a do-it-yourself deal.

hismother

Thank you for your response seniorjudge. I did not want to imply that I would even attempt to handle this myself, I am just uncertain how to handle the situation that the mother is in. Underage, unwed and a ward of the state. I am uncertain as to whom has legal authority in this case, and what rights, if any, my son or I have. I did not want to walk into a meeting with a case worker or whomever without doing a little homework.

I would really appreciate any input as to what I can expect.

milspecgirl

the only person who has any legal rights to the child at birth is the mother. Your son will need to sign the AoP at the hospital and you need to have the adoption paperwork ready to be signed at birth.

LdiJ

Thank you for your response seniorjudge. I did not want to imply that I would even attempt to handle this myself, I am just uncertain how to handle the situation that the mother is in. Underage, unwed and a ward of the state. I am uncertain as to whom has legal authority in this case, and what rights, if any, my son or I have. I did not want to walk into a meeting with a case worker or whomever without doing a little homework.

I would really appreciate any input as to what I can expect.
That is the very reason why you need to be hiring an attorney NOW.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">