• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents wanting to adopt grandchild

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gmasboy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI...
I started off with guardianship of my gs when he was 15 months old... in 2005 I was given Custody of him by his father during my dd's and the fathers divorce... nither parent has seen him since then... now he is 8 and would like to (by his choice)carry our last name...
My question is how can we start the process and do we have to have an attorney or is there some work (paper) that we can do ourselves to save on the fees, also ... we already know that my dd (out of spite only) will try to put a monkey wrench into these plans and thou the father may not, may feel threaten by her... (long story)...
I would like to make this transistion for our gs as easy as possible without he nightmares he endured during the custody trial.
Any and all information is so helpful...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Did your daughter agree with the guardianship situation?

You will need the permission of BOTH of the child's parents in order to do an adoption. You will ALSO need the permission of BOTH of the child's parents in order to do a name change.

Gmasboy

Did your daughter agree with the guardianship situation? Yes my dd was inagreement of the guardianship and of the custody...

You will need the permission of BOTH of the child's parents in order to do an adoption. You will ALSO need the permission of BOTH of the child's parents in order to do a name change.
Do we NEED to obtain an attorney or are there forms that I can get from somewhere that will allow the parents to sign their consent???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">