• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guardian in Limbo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

batti19

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I am currently the legal guardian of my niece. This has been this way since she was placed in my home 4 years ago and has been with me every since. I have sought a lawyer for the termination of parental rights of both her parents because neither have complied with the court order and neither are taking care of their child. I was told today that I would have to pay a lawyer to have the rights terminated as well as pay the lawyer a separate fee for adopting her. I am in NC. And I just need to know the procedure for carrying out this process without the lawyer. I can't not afford the fees of a lawyer and I am seeking help to try and start most of this process on my own until is utterly necessary for me to have a lawyer. Right now anyone can file a petition for termination of parental rights and I can also file a petition for the child's adoption but where in all this paperwork do I necessarily need to get a lawyer to sign off on the paperwork.

I'm in need of great help but I can't afford a lawyer right now.

momofrose

I'm sorry - but adoption is NOT a DIY project. We are atalking about a person's life here - all i's must be dotted and t's crossed and only an experience adoption attorney will make certain that happens.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">