• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guardianship & Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dawncollect

What is the name of your state? CA

1) Can a guardian, appointed either by a court or declared by the parents before their death (through a will), adopt the child(ren) put into their care?

2) Can parents declare (through their will), before their deaths, that their children be adopted by so and so (with the consent of so and so) ?

Thanks!

moburkes

1) Can a guardian, appointed either by a court or declared by the parents before their death (through a will), adopt the child(ren) put into their care?

2) Can parents declare (through their will), before their deaths, that their children be adopted by so and so (with the consent of so and so) ?

Thanks!
Please keep all of your questions in one thread.

dawncollect

I put this in a separate thread because my previous question was about a different country (that couldn't be answered) whereas this one is specifically a California question or U.S. question in general.

If I made a mistake in posting - I apologize.

And this second set of questions has nothing to do with recission.

LdiJ

Thanks!
If someone has guardianship of children whose parents are deceased then yes, its possible for them to adopt the children. (with the children's consent if the children are old enough that its required, and after a home study has be done)

Parents cannot "will" their children to someone else, because children are not property. They can express their wishes in their will, but the court will decide who gets custody or guardianship.

dawncollect

If someone has guardianship of children whose parents are deceased then yes, its possible for them to adopt the children. (with the children's consent if the children are old enough that its required, and after a home study has be done)

Parents cannot "will" their children to someone else, because children are not property. They can express their wishes in their will, but the court will decide who gets custody or guardianship.
Thank you for answering - I appreciate it!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">