• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Have a few questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nikikbotyler

What is the name of your state? Texas
I have a few questions. My son is ten years old. His biological father has never been a part of our lives-nor have we wanted him to be. He was an abusive man. I left him when I was still pregnant. He is not on the birth certificate and he was told that he needed to prove paternity if he wanted any rights. He never did. I am now married to a wonderful military man for the past seven years (we have been together since my son was one) and have two other children. We are very happy and my son recognizes my husband as his father. Now, after ten years, I hear from friends that he is trying to contact me to see this child. What rights does he have? After ten years? And if he does prove paternity and receive visitation, how does that work being in another state? Does the court really expect me to send my son on an airplane to visit a complete stranger? I am just a little nervous about this. Is there any statute of limitations about proving paternity? Thanks so much for the advice.

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? Texas
I have a few questions. My son is ten years old. His biological father has never been a part of our lives-nor have we wanted him to be. He was an abusive man. I left him when I was still pregnant. He is not on the birth certificate and he was told that he needed to prove paternity if he wanted any rights. He never did. I am now married to a wonderful military man for the past seven years (we have been together since my son was one) and have two other children. We are very happy and my son recognizes my husband as his father. Now, after ten years, I hear from friends that he is trying to contact me to see this child. What rights does he have?
the same as you do. He has the right to file for custody, visitation, support and paternity.
After ten years?
yes, and even after 17.9 years
And if he does prove paternity and receive visitation, how does that work being in another state?
someone will have to drive.
Does the court really expect me to send my son on an airplane to visit a complete stranger?
No, if he is successful in gaining visitation the court will expect you to send your child to visit the FATHER of the child.
I am just a little nervous about this. Is there any statute of limitations about proving paternity? Thanks so much for the advice.
Yes, see above.

J

joshluvscarrie

he is dad and has a right to see his son

Does the court really expect me to send my son on an airplane to visit a complete stranger?
when dad establishes paternity and gets visitation, yes, thats exactly what the court will expect you to do. if you dont YOU risk becoming the visitor, and dad becoming the custodial parent. and btw, when dad does get a court order for visitation, neither you or your son, especially your son, will have ANY say in the matter.

M

Mediate

when dad establishes paternity and gets visitation, yes, thats exactly what the court will expect you to do. if you dont YOU risk becoming the visitor, and dad becoming the custodial parent. and btw, when dad does get a court order for visitation, neither you or your son, especially your son, will have ANY say in the matter.
Hey joanieloveschachie...who's Josh? You? Your brother? Cousin? Some blood relative? Troll. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">