• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hawaii Stepparent Adoption, can we do it ourselves?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigeyes

What is the name of your state? Hawaii

My husband has a daughter from a previous marriage, mother deceased.
I have a son, and his father's rights were legally terminated, I have papers stating that.

Is there a way we can file our own papers to adopt each other's child, or do we have to hire an attorney? I've tried to search the laws on the Hawaii state page and can't find anything to help.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state? Hawaii

My husband has a daughter from a previous marriage, mother deceased.
I have a son, and his father's rights were legally terminated, I have papers stating that.

Is there a way we can file our own papers to adopt each other's child, or do we have to hire an attorney? I've tried to search the laws on the Hawaii state page and can't find anything to help.
You've answered your own question, haven't you? :)

bigeyes

um, no. I was hoping someone actually knew the answer, or had better luck or skills with searching than I did.

Surely I'm not the first person in Hawaii to want to do this?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You really really should consult/hire an attorney.

With that said, I typed hawaii step-parent adoption in to Google and the first two hits were company's offering the forms...

Silverplum

um, no. I was hoping someone actually knew the answer, or had better luck or skills with searching than I did.

Surely I'm not the first person in Hawaii to want to do this?
LOL
I DO know the answer. But I'm not an attorney licensed in HI to help you with the adoptions.

What I was saying is that if you can't even search and find forms, you DEFINITELY CANNOT represent yourself in court.

um, ok? ;)

bigeyes

LOL
I DO know the answer. But I'm not an attorney licensed in HI to help you with the adoptions.

What I was saying is that if you can't even search and find forms, you DEFINITELY CANNOT represent yourself in court.

um, ok? ;)
lol

ok

I was searching on the hawaii state page, from a link I found here. I didn't google yet. :rolleyes:

That answers my question though. We don't have anyone to contest the adoption and I wanted to know if we actually had to go to court, or if we could just file papers somewhere ourselves. I didn't really ask the question right. Since you just said we would not be able to represent ourselves in court, I guess that's a no, huh?

Geeze, I didn't come here to be cross examined. I was asking for help, and all I got was snark.

Silverplum

lol
ok
I was searching on the hawaii state page, from a link I found here. I didn't google yet. :rolleyes:
Whatever. YOU said you can't find the forms.
bigeyes said:
That answers my question though. We don't have anyone to contest the adoption and I wanted to know if we actually had to go to court,
At some point.
bigeyes said:
or if we could just file papers somewhere ourselves.
At some point you'd do that, too. It's not either/or.
bigeyes said:
I didn't really ask the question right. Since you just said we would not be able to represent ourselves in court, I guess that's a no, huh?
Um, no.
It means that if you can't handle being your own attorney, you'd better hire one. It's not that deep.
bigeyes said:
Geeze, I didn't come here to be cross examined. I was asking for help, and all I got was snark.
You get free advice.
We get snark.
Everyone wins.

Zigner

lol

ok

That answers my question though. We don't have anyone to contest the adoption and I wanted to know if we actually had to go to court, or if we could just file papers somewhere ourselves. I didn't really ask the question right. Since you just said we would not be able to represent ourselves in court, I guess that's a no, huh?

Look, from the get-go, you showed yourself to be unable to perform the basic research necessary to answer your own questions. This is NOT a matter of the information being hard to find.
So, you were advised that you should retain an attorney.

CAN a step-parent adoption be done without an attorney? Yes, of course. But, if have to ask the question in the first place (after researching it), then it shows that you should have help.

bigeyes

Look, from the get-go, you showed yourself to be unable to perform the basic research necessary to answer your own questions. This is NOT a matter of the information being hard to find.
So, you were advised that you should retain an attorney.

CAN a step-parent adoption be done without an attorney? Yes, of course. But, if have to ask the question in the first place (after researching it), then it shows that you should have help.
how asinine. this is a free advice forum. Why the hell is this place advertised as such if you get attacked for asking?

I stated that I went to the Hawaii state site to look for information, meaning the State's law website, not the legal forms page on this site. All I wanted to know was if it was possible for people to file their own forms. I never said anything about looking for the actual forms, just information.

maybe you should go back to a remedial reading course.:rolleyes:

Guess it's true you get what you pay for. :p

unsubbed.

Silverplum

how asinine. this is a free advice forum. Why the hell is this place advertised as such if you get attacked for asking?
What attack?
You are not capable of repping yourself in court. That's clear. If you want to screw it up, go ahead. It's not like I personally care. :rolleyes:
And swearing, now? Coooool! :rolleyes:
bigeyes said:
I stated that I went to the Hawaii state site to look for information, meaning the State's law website, not the legal forms page on this site. All I wanted to know was if it was possible for people to file their own forms. I never said anything about looking for the actual forms, just information.
You said you couldn't find forms. Then you asked some really basic questions.
Again, you obviously are UNABLE to perform as your own attorney. That's just a fact, lady.
bigeyes said:
maybe you should go back to a remedial reading course.:rolleyes:
Guess you should give up the idea of stepparent adoption. :rolleyes:
bigeyes said:
Guess it's true you get what you pay for. :p
Guess you're ever-so-slightly smarter than when you began. :p
bigeyes said:
unsubbed.
You're too immature to be a parent to one child, much less two.

Zigner

Silverplum said it very well. I'll sum it up.

If you can't figure out 2+2, don't sign up for algebra...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">