• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

helpful advice needed....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

asrealla

What is the name of your state? WI
Hello I am the bio- mom to my 12 yr old daughter, In WI. The bio- father has had NO contact with her for the 12 years, and is out of state. My huasband and daughter and I have decided to go through the steps for my hubby to adopt her. We have already went to court for termination of parental rights and things went great..... the bio- father agreed to terminate his rights and the court accepted everything. Now we have a court hearing set for Oct.22 and we are doing it our selves (no Lawyer) We had some one from social services check out our home and our family life, her paperwork is to be submitted by the 12th of Oct. But my question is .....
Has any one done this on their own,(no lawyer) and what do we need to do next? also what do we need for our court date as far as papers? We want to do this properly but I'm unsure how to. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you:)

seniorjudge

I'm a little confused seniorjudge..... I don't have a lawsuit..... :confused:
I hope there isn't one either>>>lol
You don't have a lawsuit?

"...We have already went to court for termination of parental rights and things went great....."

And what do you think all that was? A picnic?

asrealla

You don't have a lawsuit?

"...We have already went to court for termination of parental rights and things went great....."

And what do you think all that was? A picnic?
I'm sorry... I'm going into this with no information...and not knowing what to expect, let alone ALL the terms. If you would please explain what you mean, and the steps I need to take to acheive that..... it would be apperciated!

Just Blue

I'm sorry... I'm going into this with no information...and not knowing what to expect, let alone ALL the terms. If you would please explain what you mean, and the steps I need to take to acheive that..... it would be apperciated!
You really should NOT do an adoption on your own...It's way too important!

asrealla

Thank you both for the info. I guess we are on the right road.....just wanted to know what to expect on our last court date, and if any one was out there that has done this on their own. I have spoken to people from our court house, and they said the hard part is done (tpr) and we are on the right track.

Silverplum

Thank you both for the info. I guess we are on the right road.....just wanted to know what to expect on our last court date, and if any one was out there that has done this on their own. I have spoken to people from our court house, and they said the hard part is done (tpr) and we are on the right track.
Establishing or reviewing child support orders is something people can do on their own. But TPR/Adoption? The smart answer is always "hire an adoption attorney and get it done correctly."

I'd also caution you on counting on what you heard from "people from our court house." They are clerks, not allowed to provide legal advice, and the ones in my experience (online and real life) are dumber than small boxes of rocks.

The only thing I could advise you if you are set on doing this pro-se, is make it your business to read everything there is in the law of your state on adoption, the court rules, the local rules, and everything else ever written on the topic for your state.

asrealla

Establishing or reviewing child support orders is something people can do on their own. But TPR/Adoption? The smart answer is always "hire an adoption attorney and get it done correctly."

I'd also caution you on counting on what you heard from "people from our court house." They are clerks, not allowed to provide legal advice, and the ones in my experience (online and real life) are dumber than small boxes of rocks.

The only thing I could advise you if you are set on doing this pro-se, is make it your business to read everything there is in the law of your state on adoption, the court rules, the local rules, and everything else ever written on the topic for your state.
Thanks Alot! :) I will, and have been doing as much of that as I can :)

asrealla

:)Just wanted you all to know that as of the 22nd of Oct. WE SUCCESFULLY WENT THROUGH WITH THE STEP-PARENT ADOPTION OF MY DAUGHTER**************..AND WE DID IT WITHOUT A LAWYER!!!!!!!:p Even though I may have sounded like a dumb a$$, on my first few posts.... I guess we did just fine!! Within 10 minutes we were done and on our way with papers legaly signed by the judge!!!:D
Thanks to all who gave GOOD advice!!!!

Gracie3787

:)Just wanted you all to know that as of the 22nd of Oct. WE SUCCESFULLY WENT THROUGH WITH THE STEP-PARENT ADOPTION OF MY DAUGHTER**************..AND WE DID IT WITHOUT A LAWYER!!!!!!!:p Even though I may have sounded like a dumb a$$, on my first few posts.... I guess we did just fine!! Within 10 minutes we were done and on our way with papers legaly signed by the judge!!!:D
Thanks to all who gave GOOD advice!!!!
Congrats to your new family.:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">