• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I terminate the parental rights of birth father - not listed on birth cert.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chamules

Montana.

My son, who will be 8 in December, has never known his biodad. The biodad denied all responsibility of my pregnancy, left the state, and has had no contact whatsoever with my son. My son does not have anyone listed on his birth certificate as his father.

How do I go about legally terminating the parental rights of someone not listed and legally "unknown" so that the way will be clear for my new husband to adopt my son? Should I terminate the parental rights of "unknown" myself and then proceed with the adoption or should the entire adoption/termination process be done simultaneously? An attorney will be hired for the adoption. Should I just let him/her handle everything?

Thank you for your help. :)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So, tell me...
What have YOU done to make sure the FATHER (not biodad) took some responsibility for HIS child? :rolleyes: (Hint: NOTHING)

You need an attorney.

justalayman

Montana.

My son, who will be 8 in December, has never known his biodad. The biodad denied all responsibility of my pregnancy, left the state, and has had no contact whatsoever with my son. My son does not have anyone listed on his birth certificate as his father.

How do I go about legally terminating the parental rights of someone not listed and legally "unknown" so that the way will be clear for my new husband to adopt my son? Should I terminate the parental rights of "unknown" myself and then proceed with the adoption or should the entire adoption/termination process be done simultaneously? An attorney will be hired for the adoption. Should I just let him/her handle everything?

Thank you for your help. :)
You cannot terminate paternity until you first establish paternity.

let the attorney handle the entire thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">