• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to start process of step parent to be adoption?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sussee

What is the name of your state? Washington

My daughter is engaged to be married. He wants to adpot my grand daughter and change her name. The bio father spent aproximately 30 days total in her 2 years of life. He doesn't and hasn't paid child support although we tried this process and there were expenses that my daughter couldn't afford at that the time to complete this. What is the process once they are married to get this ball rolling. He (bio father) did sign a paternity affidavit in the hospital when she was born. My daughter and he were never married.

Last edited:

GrowUp!

My daughter is engaged to be married. He wants to adpot my grand daughter and change her name. The bio father spent aproximately 30 days total in her 2 years of life. He doesn't and hasn't paid child support although we tried this process and there were expenses that my daughter couldn't afford at that the time to complete the process. Most of the time we can't figure out where he (bio father) lives or even works for that matter, when he does. Mostly sponges or steals off others for a roof or food. What is the process once they are married to get this ball rolling. He (bio father) did sign a paternity affidavit in the hospital when she was born. I sure wish he hadn't at this juncture. My daughter and he were never married.
Wow...so many accusations, especially since you claim you "figure out where he lives", but yet you seem to know enough to fling your accusations.

Which are very much irrelevant anyway. :rolleyes:

First of all, a stepparent adoption, at this point, is not possible since they are simply engaged. Look up the state statutes regarding adoptions and it spells out what must be met. I find it hard to believe the claims about it being the costs being too much yadda yadda yadda, since all she had to do was go down to her local CSEA and inquire. No charge.

Sussee

Wow is right.

I hadn't expected I would be get insults here. I merely meant that it is difficult to find his location seeings that he moves around so much, yes he uses people that is not an acqusation that is a fact. The expenses were certificates that just were not in the budget, her notarized copy of the paternity affidavit was not good enough. Some of us are poor folk and having to pay for all these things were diffucult so we just gave up.

nextwife

Do your future SIL a favor, and give the guy some SPACE. Like maybe let there be at least a couple of years of marriage behind them before you and daughter start hustling him into forever assuming financial responsibility for another man's child. Musical daddies is not a good thing,. The child is only two and daughter has already moved on - what if this marriage fails in a couple years? Will hubby two be expected to then adopt? Will mom resent her husband wanting custody of HIS child because he's "not the REAL father"?

Read the archives. Doing a step adoption so early in the marriage is a BAD idea.

GEE, there isn't even ink on a marriage license, and you're already setting the ducks in a row for a step adoption for fiance. NOTHING should be done until the marriage has a real track record behind it.

Last edited:

ceara19

My daughter is engaged to be married. He wants to adpot my grand daughter and change her name.
This isn't an option until after they have been married long enough to prove that the marriage is stable.
The bio father spent aproximately 30 days total in her 2 years of life.
When was the last time he saw the child? Is there a court order for visitation? Why hasn't he seen the child more often?

He doesn't and hasn't paid child support although we tried this process and there were expenses that my daughter couldn't afford at that the time to complete this.
What do you mean she couldn't afford to get a child support order? DSHS would have helped her get an order for free.

What is the process once they are married to get this ball rolling. He (bio father) did sign a paternity affidavit in the hospital when she was born. My daughter and he were never married.
The first thing she needs to do is get a child support order in place. Without a court order, he isn't obligated to pay child support. Once there is a court order in place, he will either pay child support (which is what's best for the child) or he won't pay (which could greatly help when it comes to step parent adoption).

RLWoody

We had to be married one year. All of our Custody orders had to be in order first and judged and we are just moving on to the process of the Strip/Adopt. Hopefully she has already done this(the part about the custody), not just paternity. A child support order is very nice if he hasn't paid and can be useful to an adoption case.

You could locate the absent parent and see if he might just "consent" to the adoption. It could save everyone a whole lot of time, money, and trouble. If there is a child support order in place, it could be waived if consent is signed. Maybe everyone can benefit from this union. Sometimes it works out that way.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Contact the absent father and find out if he wants to be in his babys life -i find tha most of the fathers who agree to letting their child be adopted by another man is a father that hasn't been given the chance ....

Last edited by a moderator:

Shay-Pari'e

Contact the absent father and find out if he wants to be in his babys life -i find tha most of the fathers who agree to letting their child be adopted by another man is a father that hasn't been given the chance ....or that has to deal with the same bitch

Oh Really?

Grandparents/family rights to an adoptive child?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the name of your state? New york

My niece was adopted by her adopted daddy, I just found out that my brother gave up his rights voluntarily-my father and I and also the rest of the family would like to see the baby -who is now 8...my brother has not seen her since she was 6 and niether has anyone of us-his ex wont let him see her and theres nothing he can do because he has no rights and he didnt get their agreement in writing but how about the rest of the family? her grandfather wants to see her....what can we do??

uquillas06
Junior Member Join Date: Apr 2007

Order of protection/harrasment protection for my son

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the name of your state? NY

I seperated from my ex and because of many reasons I gave up my parental rights to my daughter despite the fact that we had other agreements I am now unable to see or speak to my daughter. I know that legally I am unable to do anything about that anymore and I was aware of that risk when I signed the papers so I understand that I may not see my baby till shes 18. It's been almost 2 years since I haven't seen my daughter and I found out a few weeks ago that my ex has been trying to contact my 12 year old son who lives with my first wife in PR- he has a myspace account which I monitor and shes been sending him messages telling him that the reason he can't see his sister is because I was a bad daddy and never helped her in anything and that he should call her to see his sister. I have told her to stop emailing my son and ive tried to make arrangements for the kids to meet but she does not want me to be involved. She basically wants to come and pick up my son at my house and drop him off later on. First of all he is still to young for me to let him go out on his own and his mother does not want him with any strangers either and secondly I am very sure that she is going to try to tell him things about me. I want to know if there is a way I can put up an order of protection against her towards him or a harrasment protection because ive asked her a bunch of times to stop messaging him even change his account and she keeps insisting. Is there something I can legally do? Keep in mind im the non custodial parent but I do have my son with me for 4 months out of the year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">