• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband adopting my son?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

indigrrl

Illinois-
My husband and I have been married for over two years and would like to officially adopt my son and change his last name. My son is 11 years old and currently has my maiden name as his last name. The father is not on the birth certificate and has not had contact with us since he was born. How long does this process usually take and what are the usual costs? Would this be fairly easy considering their is no paternal permission to be given?
Thanks so much!!

xylene

Illinois-
My husband and I have been married for over two years and would like to officially adopt my son and change his last name. My son is 11 years old and currently has my maiden name as his last name. The father is not on the birth certificate and has not had contact with us since he was born. How long does this process usually take and what are the usual costs? Would this be fairly easy considering their is no paternal permission to be given?
Thanks so much!!
Unless the father is deceased, then there is paternal permission to be given...

indigrrl

but the way I've understood it and from what I've read- please correct me if I'm wrong- if the father has not had contact in over two years then he gives up his paternal rights, and there is no name listed on the birth certificate for this reason.

Just Blue

but the way I've understood it and from what I've read- please correct me if I'm wrong- if the father has not had contact in over two years then he gives up his paternal rights, and there is no name listed on the birth certificate for this reason.
There is no name on the BC because you didn't establish paternity...And only a Judge can terminate paternal rights. Paternal Rights do not "expire" if not utilized.

Hire a lawyer to help you with this adoption process.

mommyof4

It's not that simple. Please contact an atty knowledgeable in adoption.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">