• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need help with my adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lucie74

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Bio father has consented to terminating his rights, all he asks is that he no longer have to pay child support in the future nor does he want to be forced to pay any arrearages(Which is fine by me). My husband who has been my daughters only father since she was 2 yrs old will be adopting her, she is now 13.

but....:confused:
1. is that allowed in the state of Indiana? (to not have to pay the arrearages?)
2. do I need an attorney to move forward with this uncontested adoption?
or can I do this on my own?

Silverplum

Bio father has consented to terminating his rights, all he asks is that he no longer have to pay child support in the future nor does he want to be forced to pay any arrearages(Which is fine by me). My husband who has been my daughters only father since she was 2 yrs old will be adopting her, she is now 13.

1. is that allowed in the state of Indiana? (to not have to pay the arrearages?)
We ALWAYS advise adopters to use an adoption attorney. It's NOT a do-it-yourself project.

Gracie3787

1. If you never recieved any public assistance, the arrears are owed to you. You can waive payment of them, but it needs to be done through court at the same time as the existing CS order is terminated.

2. Yes, you really should use an attorney. The laws for adoption are complicated and it's easy to make small mistakes that can cause huge problems.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">