• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I want to adopt my granddaughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Proserpina

Yes, I understand. However, her parents are very young and immature. They have mentioned wanting to give her up and I would like to adopt her before they have the chance to do anything stupid.
I'm getting the distinct impression that the parents aren't as fully on board with this idea as you're presenting.

ConcernedL

I'm getting the distinct impression that the parents aren't as fully on board with this idea as you're presenting.
I am not sure why you would get that impression. Her parents do not want her. They do not come visit her and when I ask them to try to spend some time with their daughter they tell me they would rather give her up. I do not fully understand the law and so I am not sure how easily they can just surrender her to a foster home or similar. For this reason, I would like to adopt her and make sure that the home and family she grew up in is her permanent home. In fact, my son said that maybe I should adopt her since I seem so concerned with her well being. Everyone is on board with this idea. I just wanted to know how long of a process it would be and what it would look like.

LdiJ

I am not sure why you would get that impression. Her parents do not want her. They do not come visit her and when I ask them to try to spend some time with their daughter they tell me they would rather give her up. I do not fully understand the law and so I am not sure how easily they can just surrender her to a foster home or similar. For this reason, I would like to adopt her and make sure that the home and family she grew up in is her permanent home. In fact, my son said that maybe I should adopt her since I seem so concerned with her well being. Everyone is on board with this idea. I just wanted to know how long of a process it would be and what it would look like.
If you get their written consent, then it would be a somewhat long process. There would need to be a home study done in order to assess your suitability as an adoptive parent.

Custody would be MUCH easier.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">