• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BoogieSelf

I'm from North Carolina. My husband's stepfather died before adoption took place. My husband has been told his mother had things forged so my husband would receive the stepfather's check each month. His mother will not give us any information about anything, including identity of actual birth father. Where do we start??

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I'm from North Carolina. My husband's stepfather died before adoption took place. My husband has been told his mother had things forged so my husband would receive the stepfather's check each month. His mother will not give us any information about anything, including identity of actual birth father. Where do we start??
Has he looked at the county court records from whence the adoption took place?

LdiJ

It might not have been necessary to forge anything in order for your husband to receive a survivor's benefit from his stepfather.

This tidbit comes from the survivor's benefits section of ssa.gov:

Besides your natural children, your stepchildren, grandchildren, step grandchildren or adopted children may receive benefits under certain circumstances.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
It might not have been necessary to forge anything in order for your husband to receive a survivor's benefit from his stepfather.

This tidbit comes from the survivor's benefits section of ssa.gov:
But was that the case when the OP's husband was a child?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">