• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Independent adoption without attorney?????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JuliaPauline08

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington state

My friend has a 4 month old son, she has asked my husband and myself to adopt him. We would like to do so without an attorney, as we can't currently afford a retaining fee (I have 2 other children, we are mid-renovation, a pregnant dog, and a broken down vehicle we are paying for right now so our bank account is tapped out). The father is unknown and no men have come forward willing to claim him as their son.

She would bring him here from Oklahoma, so we could move forward with the process in Washington state. Any help or guidance would be immensely appreciated.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington state

My friend has a 4 month old son, she has asked my husband and myself to adopt him. We would like to do so without an attorney, as we can't currently afford a retaining fee (I have 2 other children, we are mid-renovation, a pregnant dog, and a broken down vehicle we are paying for right now so our bank account is tapped out). The father is unknown and no men have come forward willing to claim him as their son.

She would bring him here from Oklahoma, so we could move forward with the process in Washington state. Any help or guidance would be immensely appreciated.
Julia, I have to ask. With your post hx here, are you absolutely sure taking on another child is the best thing to do?

If the answer is yes - then save up for an attorney. This isn't a DIY project and there's no rush, right?

If it were me though? I'd be there for my friend, and even be her favourite sitter - but not adoption. Not at this stage.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I TTA with Pro. But, regardless, adoption should never be a DIY project. If you cannot afford a lawyer? You likely can't afford to adopt. You probably can't even properly afford a pregnant dog, to be frank. Save your pennies and get the pooch spayed after this litter.

JuliaPauline08

Julia, I have to ask. With your post hx here, are you absolutely sure taking on another child is the best thing to do?

If the answer is yes - then save up for an attorney. This isn't a DIY project and there's no rush, right?

If it were me though? I'd be there for my friend, and even be her favourite sitter - but not adoption. Not at this stage.

I have no issues being responsible for my children that I already have so I am not quite sure how my previous posts (all from over a year ago, I believe, and all regarding my ex who I have as little contact with as possible) have any bearing on this situation? It is something we have discussed and we have decided we are ready for, yes. But that was not my question.... Not trying to be rude but a bit taken aback, and rightfully so.

Last edited:

JuliaPauline08

I TTA with Pro. But, regardless, adoption should never be a DIY project. If you cannot afford a lawyer? You likely can't afford to adopt. You probably can't even properly afford a pregnant dog, to be frank. Save your pennies and get the pooch spayed after this litter.
Not getting the dog spayed, she is a show dog. I can afford the dog, her pregnancy, and raising her litter. Thanks for assuming you know anything beyond exactly what I posted in my OP. I thought this was a page for legal advice, not for strangers to pass judgement on me breeding my dogs.

JuliaPauline08

There is a rush (missed that part), as DCS is in the process of removing the child from her care and they have given her the option to provide a placement of her choice but since I am out of state, Oklahoma DCS cannot give an order to place the child in my care. So we would have to go through a formal adoption.

JuliaPauline08

Also, my emergency fund for the dog's pregnancy is about $4500 (since you assumed I could not afford the dog, I figured I would provide this information) in case "everything that can go wrong, does go wrong." Holding this reserve is the only reason I can't afford a retaining fee for an attorney.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Not getting the dog spayed, she is a show dog. I can afford the dog, her pregnancy, and raising her litter. Thanks for assuming you know anything beyond exactly what I posted in my OP. I thought this was a page for legal advice, not for strangers to pass judgement on me breeding my dogs.
If you have a show dog, you will have money from selling the pups to pay a lawyer w/in three/four months. The kid is already 4 mos old - waiting a bit longer will really not be an issue for the child.

If you don't want people to give their opinions, please feel free to ask an attorney. Oh.... wait...

JuliaPauline08

Basically, all I was asking was, whether it was practical at all to proceed with an adoption without an attorney. The answer is, obviously, no.

Next question: If she relocated, and we work out a third party custody agreement placing the child in my care until I have the money freely available to pay an attorney, do you think that would be a feasible option?

JuliaPauline08

If you have a show dog, you will have money from selling the pups to pay a lawyer w/in three/four months. The kid is already 4 mos old - waiting a bit longer will really not be an issue for the child.

If you don't want people to give their opinions, please feel free to ask an attorney. Oh.... wait...
Does being rude and snarky make you feel better about yourself or something? Jeez.

Proserpina

Hire an attorney, or don't.

Your choice.

Nobody here is going to take you by the hand and walk you through it. There IS an awful lot of information out there you can Google and sit and research yourself.

If you wish.

JuliaPauline08

I don't expect anyone to hold my hand and walk me through it. Is this not called the Legal Advice Forum? That's all I was asking for.

Thank you both for your time. Sorry to have bothered you. Have an excellent evening.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
There is a rush (missed that part), as DCS is in the process of removing the child from her care and they have given her the option to provide a placement of her choice but since I am out of state, Oklahoma DCS cannot give an order to place the child in my care. So we would have to go through a formal adoption.
She won't be able to leave the state then. And where is DAD in this whole thing? He would need to be notified and have a right to have custody of HIS child.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You also need to consider a few other things - IF she were even allowed to leave the state (which is unlikely). Why is DCS involved? There has to be something serious involved. How does/has it affect/ed the child? Additionally, you would need to be cleared by the authorities as a suitable placement- which is not something that happens overnight. Even though she can "choose" where her child goes, it is really not that easy.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">