• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inheritance for Adopted Children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leisaml95

What is the name of your state? Ohio. I married my ex-husband when my daughter was 5. He adopted her at 5 1/2, her father was deceased. We divorced when she was 12. He is now re-married. In the event he passes before his new wife, does she have any right to inheritance outside of what he provides in his will, which is currently nothing?

mb94

She has the same rights that his biological child. But like a biological child she can be excluded from the estate depending on what his will says.

nextwife

Exactly. Parents are NOT legally obligated to will anything to their children, no matter how they became their children.

Also, depending upon how assets are held, little to nothing may be included in their estate. Most of the assets could be held in a way that has them pass OUTSIDE probate (POD accounts, joint tenants, etc.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">