• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interesting about Indiana Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tigger22472

What is the name of your state? Indiana

It seems that we may have been incorrect at least in the state of Indiana when it comes to the 'abandonment' rule. Indiana requires that there be one year without contact or support. Now, our theory has been that after that time if contact is made that the 1 year starts over and basically you are SOL. This is not true.

Rosell v. Dausman, 175 Ind. App. 618
PRIOR HISTORY: [***1]

Appeal from a decree granting an adoption.

From the St. Joseph Probate Court, Frank X. Kopinski, Judge.

DISPOSITION: Affirmed.

CASE SUMMARY

PROCEDURAL POSTURE: Appellant natural mother challenged the judgment of the St. Joseph Probate Court (Indiana), which granted appellee step-mother's petition to adopt the two minor sons in spite of the natural mother's lack of consent.

OVERVIEW: After the natural father was granted a divorce from the natural mother, he was granted the custody of his two minor sons. Later, the natural father remarried and the step-mother petitioned to adopt the sons. The natural father gave his consent to the adoption, but the natural mother refused. On appeal the natural mother argued that because she was in communication with the children during the year immediately preceding the filing of the petition for adoption, her consent was necessary. The court disagreed and held Ind. Code § 31-3-1-6(g)(1) (Supp. 1976) stated that if for a period of at least one year a non-custodial parent failed without justifiable cause, to communicate significantly with the child when able to do so, consent to adoption was not required of that non-custodial parent. The natural mother did not communicate significantly with the children for at least one year, was able to do so, and contributed nothing to their general well-being. There was clear, cogent, and indubitable evidence that there was a period of at least one-year in which the natural mother failed to communicate with her children, and the trial court did not err in dispensing with her consent.

OUTCOME: The court affirmed the judgment of the trial court.

Consent Required?

IC 1971, 31-3-1-6(g) (Burns Supp. 1976) provides in pertinent part that,
HN1"(g) Consent to adoption is not required of:

(1) a parent or parents if the child is adjudged to have been abandoned or deserted for six [6] months or more immediately preceding the date of the filing of the petition; or a parent of a child in the custody of another person, if for a period of at least one [1] year he fails without justifiable cause, to communicate significantly with the child when able to do so or he wilfully fails to provide for the care and support of the child when able to do so as required by law or judicial decree, or if the parent or parents have made only token efforts to support or to communicate with the child, the court may declare the child abandoned by the parent or parents; . . ." n2

Rosell argues that since she was in communication with the children during the year immediately preceding the filing of the petition for adoption, her consent was necessary for the granting of the adoption. n3

Since the trial court found that Rosell failed to communicate significantly with the children, her argument that the relevant time period is one year immediately preceding the filing of the petition is immaterial herein. When the child is in the custody of another person, as is the case with Jeffery and Charles, the statute clearly indicates that "if for a period of at least one year he [non-custodial [*620] parent] fails without justifiable cause, to communicate significantly with the child when able to do so . . ." consent to adoption is not required of that non-custodial parent. The court specifically found that Rosell did not communicate significantly with the children for at least one year, was able to do so, and contributed nothing to their general well-being.

The record discloses that Rosell visited the children intermittently between the date of the divorce decree (April 10, 1970) and the date of the filing of the petition (April 21, 1975). [***4] There was evidence that from January 26, 1973, to August 28, 1974, a period of over eighteen months (1-1/2 years), she failed to have any contact with the children at all. Under the statutory guidelines, Rosell's consent was unncessary for a valid adoption to take place. n4

This ruling was cited in:
J.P. C.H. v. E.W., 713 N.E.2d 873

The thrust of the statute is to foster and maintain communication between non-custodial parents and their children, not to provide a means for parents to maintain just enough contact to thwart potential adoptive parents's efforts to provide a settled environment to the child. Rosell v. Dausman, 175 Ind. App. 618, 373 N.E.2d 185 (1978). The significance of the communication is [**8] not measured in terms of units of visits. Id. Thus, C.H.'s short, not-quite-monthly visits with J.P., that commenced about four months after J.P. was returned to Indiana, do not establish significant communication. Moreover, that C.H. eventually increased the length of her visits with J.P. after C.H. moved back to Indiana, and just prior to E.W.'s petition for adoption, does not vitiate the lack of significant communication for the one-year period commencing in September 1996 when J.P. was returned to Indiana from Tennessee. See In re Adoption of Subzda, 562 N.E.2d at 750 n.3 (HN7when gauging significant communication, the one-year period need not immediately precede the filing of the petition).

In re Adoption of L., 435 N.E.2d 624

We note some additional points about Christopher's argument. First, he argues that he did visit with his son after going to court to enforce his visitation rights in October, 1980. This argument misses the essential point that the one year period of non-communication had already expired. HN4It is not necessary that the period of non-communication be the year immediately prior to the filing of an adoption-termination [**7] petition. Matter of Adoption of Herman, supra; Rosell v. Dausman, (1978) Ind.App., 175 Ind. App. 618, 373 N.E.2d 185. He also contends that he made numerous telephone calls to arrange visits, that he pursued court action in the form of a petition to modify the dissolution decree and an action to enforce visitation, and that he ultimately paid support. We have dealt with the calls supra. They did not result in visits. Court action does not constitute communication. Adoption of Thornton, (1976) 171 Ind.App. 457, 358 N.E.2d 157. HN5Payment or nonpayment of support is a separate basis for termination of parental rights under IC 31-3-1-6(g)(1) and is irrelevant to the issue of communication.

brisgirl825

Some here may think that, that is a bad thing but I think it's great that bios can't get away with that crap...atleast in Indiana. It bugs the $hit out of me to hear about a bio being gone for yrs and then coming back around. It does nothing but disrupt the life of the child.

LdiJ

Did you notice that this case is 30 years old? (the divorce happened in 1970 and the adoption took place in 1975). I spent some time searching Lexis-Nexis but I couldn't find any similar cases that cited this case in the last 10 years or so (and not much before that) and nothing at the Supreme Court level. I did find however LOTS of cases where the state terminated a parent's rights (CPS involvement) that cited this case.

It might still be usable for a stepparent adoption case, but from my observations Indiana judges ,these days, are very unlikely to involuntarily terminate a parent's rights if there has been any contact at all. I also think that the "legal climate" has changed pretty significantly in the last 30 years.

tigger22472

LdiJ said:
Did you notice that this case is 30 years old? (the divorce happened in 1970 and the adoption took place in 1975). I spent some time searching Lexis-Nexis but I couldn't find any similar cases that cited this case in the last 10 years or so (and not much before that) and nothing at the Supreme Court level. I did find however LOTS of cases where the state terminated a parent's rights (CPS involvement) that cited this case.

It might still be usable for a stepparent adoption case, but from my observations Indiana judges ,these days, are very unlikely to involuntarily terminate a parent's rights if there has been any contact at all. I also think that the "legal climate" has changed pretty significantly in the last 30 years.

Yes I notied it was 30 years old but it has been upheld. I thought it was rather interesting and there aren't any cases that overruled it so it's still a 'good law.' I'm not quite sure how I feel about it though.

Grace_Adler

It will always be a law unless legislators change it or that law is repealed. Judges don't have the power to change a law, only to interpret it and rule on their interpretations. At least that's the way it is supposed to be but sometimes you can't tell it. LOL The judge, in my opinion, interpreted it correctly. It sounds like the bio mother misread it.

tigger22472

Grace_Adler said:
It will always be a law unless legislators change it or that law is repealed. Judges don't have the power to change a law, only to interpret it and rule on their interpretations. At least that's the way it is supposed to be but sometimes you can't tell it. LOL The judge, in my opinion, interpreted it correctly. It sounds like the bio mother misread it.
Right, no matter how old the case is, as long as it hasn't been refuted it's still a good law on "on point" case. I even Shepardized the case and like I said it still seems to be good law, even if it hasn't been used often, just makes wonder if it's not been found..

tigger22472

Grace_Adler said:
Yeah I hear ya.
Speaking of that reminded me of something else I posted on here recently about Indiana precedence.

I posted that it seems that Indiana has held that when a parent that pays child support becomes disabled and applies for SSD, first of all their SS backpay payment for the child CANNOT be applied to arrears (which I think is really wrong) AND it's not considered in for CURRENT support also and support is based on the base of what the NCP gets from SSD. Two weeks ago I sat through CS court proceeding and a mother was saying that she had been approved finally and her check was coming soon. She was told to let them know when she got those and that the children's portions WILL be applied to the arrears. It also seems, or at least she has said, that her ex is willing to waive the arrears. It seems she has a decent ex but if he wasn't when she got paid those monies he could appeal the case and would win and none of those payments would count towards the arrears.

LdiJ

tigger22472 said:
Speaking of that reminded me of something else I posted on here recently about Indiana precedence.

I posted that it seems that Indiana has held that when a parent that pays child support becomes disabled and applies for SSD, first of all their SS backpay payment for the child CANNOT be applied to arrears (which I think is really wrong) AND it's not considered in for CURRENT support also and support is based on the base of what the NCP gets from SSD. Two weeks ago I sat through CS court proceeding and a mother was saying that she had been approved finally and her check was coming soon. She was told to let them know when she got those and that the children's portions WILL be applied to the arrears. It also seems, or at least she has said, that her ex is willing to waive the arrears. It seems she has a decent ex but if he wasn't when she got paid those monies he could appeal the case and would win and none of those payments would count towards the arrears.
That is simply illogical (and I hope someone addresses that with the legislators) by nature the lump sum/backpay portion of SSDI IS arrears...arrears that should have been provided to assist in support the child, and is therefore being provided as a "lump sum". For it to not be recognized as paying down arrearages (or at least arrearages for the time period the lump sum was to cover) just doesn't make sense from any logical standpoint.

I can understand it not apply to any arrearages, pre the time period....but otherwise..no.

tigger22472

LdiJ said:
That is simply illogical (and I hope someone addresses that with the legislators) by nature the lump sum/backpay portion of SSDI IS arrears...arrears that should have been provided to assist in support the child, and is therefore being provided as a "lump sum". For it to not be recognized as paying down arrearages (or at least arrearages for the time period the lump sum was to cover) just doesn't make sense from any logical standpoint.

I can understand it not apply to any arrearages, pre the time period....but otherwise..no.
I agree! But the theory that some judges have is that it's the child's money. SSD for children generally go to the CP's home as they are for current care and if the child is in the CP's home then it's logical to assume they are the one caring for them. My issue on this is that the CP wouldn't be getting it if the NCP didn't earn it through THEIR work history.

It seems the lower courts are on the right track and ordering the lump sum to be applied to arrears, it's the higher courts that have overruled that on several occasions. The particular cases I read basically sounded like very bitter and greedy CP's as they were dragging the NCP into court constantly on contempt charges knowing that they couldn't physically work. In one case the judge was going to put the NCP in jail but didn't because he had surgery coming up.

We all know that there isn't a magical contempt fairy that comes around and files on people, unless it's CSE but even then they are fairly considerate in these sorts of cases unless pushed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">