• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interference from Bio father after adoption in 2001

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Getlo

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

My exhusband vol. gave up rights to our dd, who was 5 at the time, now she is 10. My husband adopted her at the time rights were gave up. My ex remarried and has a 3 year old daughter by his current wife(which is current wife also has a 10 YO daughter by her ex). We all live in the same town. Here is what has been going on...

He and his wife has put a birthday announcement in our local paper every year for their 3 yo and a birth announcement when she was born. EACH time they have listed my dd as a sister to THEIR dd! I have went to the newspaper everytime and had them run ANOTHER ad for there childs birthday announcement and omit my dd's name and such, but of course it is really to late, because everyone in town has seen it already. HOWEVER, ex's wife had never NOT ONCE put a birthday announcement in the paper for HER OTHER dd, I ALWAYS check around her bday. They also went as far as taking the other dd out of the school she has went to for 4 years and LIE to my schools principal and staff and enrolled HER dd in MY dd's school(they are the same age and grade!) I had to take it to the superintendents office and they did a home visit and found that NO, they did not live in MY school district and they pulled the lil girl out and put her back to her old school. They (ex and his wife) has ALSO told NUMEROUS people (that they think I dont know) that "I" just dont let him see my dd and that he sends me child support and I refuse it!!! I have had people come up to me at my business and get pretty "Matter-Of-Fact" with me about the LIES that he told them, they are MAD AT ME for doing such a thing, until I have to tell them the whole story about him giving up his rights and ...ect...

He and his wife has tormented me and my family for 5 years. My dd doesnt want ANYTHING to do with him, she doesnt even want associated with him and he keeps putting things like this PUBLIC and we are SO TIRED of it all.

Do I have ANY RIGHTS to do ANYTHING about the stuff that he is doing?

Please help

T.

brisgirl825

I'd just move. Since that may not be an option for you, the only thing I can think of would be to get a restraining order. However, people can, will, and do talk. I am not sure how far a restraining order can go in reguards to limiting what they say.
Perhaps consult with an atty.

Good luck.

Getlo

Thank you. Moving is not an option, since all of my and dh's family lives here, right now. I would just like to know is there an Adoption Confidencality(sp?) law that has been broken?

Thanks!

tigger22472

http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/KRS/625-00/045.PDF

I'm not sure there is a whole lot you can do.. however, as suggested speak to an attorney. I would think this could fall under some sort of harassment. I know (and it was re-affirmed yesterday) that if my ex and I still lived in the same town I would be going through the same thing.

My ex ignored notice to him in April of 2004, adoption was finalized in June 2004 and he was notified IN COURT in December 2004. We did not need consent as he qualified under having his rights terminated involuntary due to abandonment. He continued to tell people I refuse to let him see his children and how he paid support, just like yours until they tell someone that knows the story and like you sets them straight. He allowed himself to be caught for the 25K he owed in CS arrears and yesterday was the first hearing I went to, although HE has had many over the last year. While in front of the judge he said "Your Honor, since she's decided to appear this time, " (mind you I'm not required) "I would like to address the fact my children were adopted illegally." I just smirked and laughed... not only was this not the court to address this in, that court does not hold personal jurisdiction over me or my children, but according to Indiana law he had ONE year to try to vacate (nevermind he was told he had 30 days when sent the paper in April of 2004). I just laughed because he only brought it up thinking it would ruff my feathers... as if I didn't know the law and didn't follow it completely...lol

If there is nothing you can do or can prevent this, here is what I would do. You could do it now AND later, or just wait until you know the day they are announcing the child's birthday and pay for an ad in the paper that shows a copy of the adoption paper... I would copy the first page with the date of adoption and whatever paper you have with his signature on it... or just the latter if it has a date on it. Other than that hopefully an attorney could help you.

Getlo

Thanks for the advice. Hugs to you and you family. I thought of running a birthday pic of my dd in it saying ......... is the dd of....... & ........ her sisters are ........& ............(my other 2 dd's) She ALSO USE to be the dd of Mr. A. Hole , until he vol. terminated his rights in 2001 and .........(my dh) officially adopted her!

Or somthing like that. LOL! I dont THINK that I can put the photocopy of an adoption in the paper, for privacy rights, because she is a minor?

HUGS

Tonya

tigger22472

Getlo said:
Thanks for the advice. Hugs to you and you family. I thought of running a birthday pic of my dd in it saying ......... is the dd of....... & ........ her sisters are ........& ............(my other 2 dd's) She ALSO USE to be the dd of Mr. A. Hole , until he vol. terminated his rights in 2001 and .........(my dh) officially adopted her!

Or somthing like that. LOL! I dont THINK that I can put the photocopy of an adoption in the paper, for privacy rights, because she is a minor?

HUGS

Tonya

I'm not sure why you can't since you are the guardian. I've seen their names in the legals in my newpapers for notification for adoptions and name changes. You can always call and check.. I wouldn't do your suggestion though cuz that might really embarrass your daughter.

Getlo

Thank you, I will check on that. Do they just photocopythe whole thing, what does it actually look like in the paper?

tigger22472

Getlo said:
Thank you, I will check on that. Do they just photocopythe whole thing, what does it actually look like in the paper?

Oh I've never seen an actual order like that in the paper but I'm sure it could be. I've seen little sections in the legal section that names minors but that's it. I'd go talk to them and see about them copying what you want and bringing it down to size to fit what you want.

T

titansfan

just ignore the sperm donor

this does not sound like interference-hes not interfering in the way youre rasing your daughter, he is not demanding visitation with her etc. you cant control where they enroll their daughter in school(that their decision, not yours) id just ignore it, it he will get tired of annoying you when he sees he cant get a reaction out of you anymore, hes just acting like a jerk

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">