• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interstate adoption questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zebedee

What is the name of your state? Texas and Florida

I know someone who lives In Texas with one child from a previous marriage. The ex-spouse recently convinced the other child to move to Florida, which is where they are now. The ex-spouse will be getting re-married soon. My friend in Texas is willing to allow the child in Texas to be adopted by the new couple and terminate parental rights to both children. Is this pretty straightforward with a lawyer and the right documents? Are there any particular legal quirks with either state?
Thanks for your help - first post here :)

Last edited:

zebedee

Yes, I had assumed that. It is good to know what is involved before jumping in, though, so if anyone has some useful info on this it would be appreciated :)

zebedee

Is there a rule on how long the step parent must have been married to the parent before they can both adopt? Does it differ by state?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
zebedee said:
Is there a rule on how long the step parent must have been married to the parent before they can both adopt? Does it differ by state?
Why would they both need to adopt?

nextwife

zebedee said:
The ex-spouse will be getting re-married soon. My friend in Texas is willing to allow the child in Texas to be adopted by the new couple and terminate parental rights to both children. Is this pretty straightforward with a lawyer and the right documents? Are there any particular legal quirks with either state?
And is this soon-to-be married fiance-of-his-ex willing to assume the forever financial responsibilities for HIS kids? Or is this something your friend, and/or his ex decided he should want to do?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
zebedee said:
What is the name of your state? Texas and Florida

I know someone who lives In Texas with one child from a previous marriage. The ex-spouse recently convinced the other child to move to Florida, which is where they are now. The ex-spouse will be getting re-married soon. My friend in Texas is willing to allow the child in Texas to be adopted by the new couple and terminate parental rights to both children. Is this pretty straightforward with a lawyer and the right documents? Are there any particular legal quirks with either state?
Thanks for your help - first post here :)
Why is adoption specific to the child residing in TX?

zebedee

stealth2 said:
Why would they both need to adopt?
Does there not have to be a replacement for the parent who is giving up the child? As you can guess, I don't know much about it all.

zebedee

nextwife said:
And is this soon-to-be married fiance-of-his-ex willing to assume the forever financial responsibilities for HIS kids? Or is this something your friend, and/or his ex decided he should want to do?
That would be something they would all decide. I'm only interested in the legalities at this point.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Well, you only say that the child residing in TX would be adopted. What about the other kid? Then you ask how long the stepparent and bioparent need to be married before they can both adopt the kid - the bioparent doesn't have to adopt anyone. You're making some bizarre statements given the proposed situation.

nextwife

zebedee said:
That would be something they would all decide. I'm only interested in the legalities at this point.
Actually, the first person who has to decide they want this is the future step dad.

And it is wrong for either the biomom or biodad to be pressuring him to adopt (heck, he's not even married yet, much less in a proven marriage) these kids and be responsible for them forever, even if the marriage only lasts three years or so. They have a father, and people need to stop thinking that they should change their kid's dad's around just because they change partners.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
nextwife said:
people need to stop thinking that they should change their kid's dad's around just because they change partners.
What? You mean "Musical Daddies" isn't a good party game? :eek:

nextwife

Good grief. Between the:

"My mom had my stepdad, who later abused me, adopt when I was a kid and now I want him off my birth certificate, how do I get unadopted?" posts, the

"I just got engaged, and now that I've been engaged for thirty seconds, I'd like to know how to terminate my child's father's rights so my fiance can adopt..." and the

"I adopted my ex-wife's kids and then she dumped me and is now living with their real father and my adopted kids won't talk to me, how do I stop the child support I'm paying"

posts, I really wonder how well informed many of those who do step-adoptions REALLY are!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">