• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jurisdiction issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

itsmemeee

I live in Texas and my ex-husband lives in Louisiana.
My husband is trying to start a stepparent adoption. I was divorced from the father of my oldest child in Harris County and have a child support case there as well. My husband and our 3 children have been living in Hardin County for over 3 years. Where do we file for the adoption due to the Jurisdiction? We have been told that we can file in Harris county so there is no hold up or confusion about a motion to transfer. I asked the OAG's office about doing a motion to transfer but they say I cannot because it has to be attached to enforcement orders. I don't want child support enforced because he has signed an Affidavit of parental termination. I do on the other hand still want the back pay. Is that possible after his rights have been terminated.
Also I have been told in Hardin County that one of the judges will not allow someone to represent themselves and they are not sure if the other judge will either. Is that legal?
By the way we are using reliableadoption.com to get all the paper work and we are filing ourselves.

Last edited:

Silverplum

I live in Texas and my ex-husband lives in Louisiana.
My husband is trying to start a stepparent adoption. I was divorced from the father of my oldest child in Harris County and have a child support case there as well. My husband and our 3 children have been living in Hardin County for over 3 years. Where do we file for the adoption due to the Jurisdiction? We have been told that we can file in Harris county so there is no hold up or confusion about a motion to transfer. I asked the OAG's office about doing a motion to transfer but they say I cannot because it has to be attached to enforcement orders. I don't want child support enforced because he has signed an Affidavit of parental termination. I do on the other hand still want the back pay. Is that possible after his rights have been terminated.
Also I have been told in Hardin County that one of the judges will not allow someone to represent themselves and they are not sure if the other judge will either. Is that legal?
By the way we are using reliableadoption.com to get all the paper work and we are filing ourselves.
We ALWAYS advise adopters to hire adoption attorneys. ALWAYS.

itsmemeee

We ALWAYS advise adopters to hire adoption attorneys. ALWAYS.
i am not sure i understand the last part of that. My ex-husband understands that it is in the best interest since he has not seen him in 4 1/2 years and he knows that our son is very loved and stable.

mommyof4

And would you allow to me to make one tiny point?

You say that you want your ex to pay the arrearage owed up to this point. While legally, you are in the right, lets think about this in a way to get the best possible, least painful outcome.

Is the money REALLY worth the possibility that your ex (or the state, for that matter) might hold up or completely cancel the adoption?

itsmemeee

And would you allow to me to make one tiny point?

You say that you want your ex to pay the arrearage owed up to this point. While legally, you are in the right, lets think about this in a way to get the best possible, least painful outcome.

Is the money REALLY worth the possibility that your ex (or the state, for that matter) might hold up or completely cancel the adoption?
I have considered that and still am. If it will cause a problem it is not worth the fight for money because I have a priceless family.

Silverplum

i am not sure i understand the last part of that. My ex-husband understands that it is in the best interest since he has not seen him in 4 1/2 years and he knows that our son is very loved and stable.
What's not to understand? We advise all adopters to hire/use an adoption attorney.

You don't know how to process the paperwork. That's one reason, right there.

itsmemeee

What's not to understand? We advise all adopters to hire/use an adoption attorney.

You don't know how to process the paperwork. That's one reason, right there.
Sorry after your message I read the quote and did not realize that was not part of your message.
I am working with the people who did the paperwork and they are helping me step by step. I was just reading the texas family code 161 i believe and it was talking about moving jurisdiction so I needed to get a second opion on that. Also through reading the codes I am making sure that we have all the proper paper work. And trying to get answers here to help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">