• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Juvenile Mother Adult Father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bigd03

I live in Ohio.
I am 18 years old and my girlfriend is 16. I need to know that if she is pregnant, what are my rights concerning adoption if her mother wants to give the child up for adoption and I'd rather raise it. Is there a way I could prove myself fit as a father and raise the child?

Also, being 18, am I liable for statutory rape if the act was consensual and she is 16? There is less than 2 years difference in age, and we have her mothers' consent to date, but not have sexual relations.

Although it is not for certain whether or not she is pregnant, I need to know what my rights are since there is a slim chance that she might be. I'm sure my case is not rare, but I have seen no writings on the situation with which I may be involved.

-DW

Seanscott

You do not have to prove yourself as a fit parent. Obviously, there are thousands of people who have children that are terrible parents. Too often, the court doesn't intervene until a tragedy happens to a child.

Your parental rights as a father will have to be terminated before any adoption. It is up to the mother to prove you unfit in court.

I don't know about the statutory rape laws.

CMSC

Statutory Rape laws in Ohio are as follows:

Age of Consent is 16.
Rape if victim is younger than 13. Corruption of a minor if victim is 13-15 and perpetrator is 18 or older.

B

bigd03

Fitness

How can I prove fitness if indeed her mother does challenge my parental rights? Is holding a job and being able to provide shelter,supervision, and food enough, or are there certain circumstances I should be aware of?

Seanscott

As a father, you have certain rights under the law. She has to prove you as unfit. The burden of proof is on her, not you. The child cannot be put up for adoption until your rights are terminated. This is something the mother has to start, and she has to prove unfitness.

If you're not a felon, or child molester, you should be able to stand up under any investigation she initiates.

Again - the burden of proof is on her.

This is your child, if mom doesn't want her, she goes to the father - unless he is PROVEN unfit.

Good luck.

B

bigd03

Thanks

Thank you very much everyone who has replied. If there is any other information anyone can provide me, please feel free to post it here or e-mail me at [email protected]
-DW

FarmerJ

Big one thing you can do now is call your countys social services unit and ask for information about establishing paternity and parenting classes . The parenting classes would be a most usefull tool .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">