• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Name Change or Reverse adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kammyjean

What is the name of your state? I live in the state of Oregon, also the state adoption was done in. I would like to know if it's legal to have records unsealed and court ordered reversed? If not, I'd like to find out how I can legally change the father on my birth certificate.

nextwife

kammyjean said:
I'd like to find out how I can legally change the father on my birth certificate.
Me too. I'd like it to read "Bill Gates".

And, NO, we don't get to CHOOSE who our parents are later in life - whether they be our bioparents or adoptive parents. If you are an adult, you can change YOUR name to anything you want.

greivingspouse

kammyjean;
Why would you want to change the name of the father, are you disappointed with the adoption? Is your mother adoptive or bio? It appears you intend to distance yourself from the adoption, is this the case? If so, what happened to change your mind, or was this always your mindset?

OregonLawyer

If you are adopted in Oregon, the name of the adopting parent is changed on your birth certificate. If you were to be adopted by the person you want to have listed as your real parent on your birth certificate, you can legally have a new birth certificate issued with that parent's name on it.

There is a procedure for unsealing adoption records. Call your local county courthouse and they should have some forms for you.

Good luck.

fairisfair

OregonLawyer said:
If you are adopted in Oregon, the name of the adopting parent is changed on your birth certificate. If you were to be adopted by the person you want to have listed as your real parent on your birth certificate, you can legally have a new birth certificate issued with that parent's name on it.

There is a procedure for unsealing adoption records. Call your local county courthouse and they should have some forms for you.

Good luck.
Not sure, but I think in this case this person was adopted and now wants a new birth certificate removing the adoptive parent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">