• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal for a parent with revoked rights to contact the child?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goodfather

What is the name of your state? PA

Several years ago, my ex-wife's parental rights were revoked, and my current wife adopted my daughter. This legal action was done in the State of Utah.

My ex-wife has now contacted my 17-year-old daughter by email. I don't want her to talk to her, and my understanding is that until she's 18, my ex cannot contact her. What are my legal options? Would a restraining order be an option? Does email count? Her parental rights were revoked 10 years ago, so this is nothing new. Email and MySpace have just made it easier for her to locate and contact my daughter. What can I do?????What is the name of your state?

Some Random Guy

The lack of parental rights just means that they are not legally the parent. A no-contact order is something else entirely. Your ex-wife is not legally her mother, and is therefore just an acquaintance.

You can try to get a restraining order against her, but I would think that the judge would want to see some harassment or interference with your parenting rather than just a single e-mail in the last 10 years.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What are your daughter's thoughts? In less than a year, she'll be free to do as she likes, so you may want to get a feel for where she is wrt her birth-mother.

Garg

?

Yep, I second that.

Even if momma is a screw up or you dont agree with it, your child is going to WANT to know who her real mother is and how shes been doing.

If Her mother is "off" somehow, your child still will have a need to learn that on her own no matter how much you talk to her.

Theres just something that is stronger between a mother and her child that bonds them, even if they havnt seen each other in years.

Sorry its apart of life.

LdiJ

Most adoptive parents try to be supportive of an adult or almost adult child having some contact with their birth parent, IF that is what the child wants. Therefore I agree with Stealth that your daughter's feelings need to be factored into any decision you make.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">