• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lied About Birthfather

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shayna2005

What is the name of your state? Nebraska
Agency: Lutheran Family Services (Lincoln, NE)

I signed over my rights to my newborn son in December 2005. However, in the adoption process I openly and knowingly lied about the birthfather. Can the birthfather get custody of the baby and then sign his rights over to my parents?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
He can certainly contest the adoption and seek custody himself. To give the child up for adoption, both of you would need to consent.

nextwife

Signed over to adoptive parents? Or family?

Are you attempting to use YOUR farud to remove the child from adoptive parents with whom you placed the child? Did you accept reimbursement for medical or other expenses from the party that now has the child? Has the adoption been finalized?

http://www.adoptionsolutions.com/general/state laws/ne_law.htm

Consent is not required of a parent who
1. has relinquished the child for adoption;
2. has abandoned the child for at least 6 months;
3. has had parental rights terminated; or
4. is incapable of consenting.
If the child is born out of wedlock, the rights of the father shall not be recognized unless within 5 days after the birth he files a notice to claim paternity. If he requests custody of the child, then the court shall determine if he can properly care for the child and whether it would be in the child's best interest. If consent is not required of either parent, for any of the above reasons, then substitute consent can be given by the Department, the child-placing agency, or
the guardian ad litem.

rmet4nzkx

I don't think anyone here can tell you definitively what will happen, but it is important to all involved that you admit what you did TODAY.

shayna2005 said:
What is the name of your state? Nebraska
Agency: Lutheran Family Services (Lincoln, NE)

I signed over my rights to my newborn son in December 2005. However, in the adoption process I openly and knowingly lied about the birthfather. Can the birthfather get custody of the baby and then sign his rights over to my parents?
Why did you lie? Shame on you.

mb94

The posting by nextwife is the important thing here. After some of the highly publicized cases of birthfathers contesting the adoption many states have placed limits on the time when he can come forward. It looks like in your state that is five days after birth so without some facts that you aren't telling us he can't get custody. And even if he could why would he sign over his rights to your parents?

If you are having doubts about your decision or second thoughts see if your adoption agency offers any post placement talk therapy or knows of any birthmother support groups.

momofrose

This post can not be a true post - why would you state what agency placed the with the adoptive family.

If it is true that you lied - yes he can contest th adoption - Here in NJ the birthmom lied to the birthfather and said the baby was still born - in fact she placed the baby with an adoptive family - he found out about it (I have no diea why) and has now hired attormey's to get "hsi baby" back.

I think it is a travesty that he doing that - the poor child could be pulled form the only family she knows - but the bio father did not know so I understand his point as well.

Being an adoptive mom I can not imagine having my son pulled from me.

Come clean...what exactly happened and what did you exactly lie about???
d

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">