• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Listing with more than one adoption agency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cjdim1

What is the name of your state? California

I am a birth mother who recently listed with an adoption agency. Upon reviewing a number of profiles for prospective adoptive families, we found that the agency was limited in being able to offer the kind of couple we were looking for. THEY refered me to another agency that could help, but when i communicated with the first agency that I was proceeding with filling out paper work with the second agency, they said that this was illegal and could be considered fraud (on their part or my part, I wasn't clear). Is is illegal for a birth mother to list with more than one adoption if it is only in an effort to find the best family for her child? ( I am also not seeking for any kind of financial support from either of the agencies.)What is the name of your state?

momofrose

I believe it is true that you can only list with one agency - the fact is that the agencies are trying to avoid any scams. It's nothing personal.

Have you tried going through an attorney? Our birthmom found us through an attorney.

Best of luck to you!! When are you due?

D

momofrose

Best if luck in finding the adoptive family you desire for you baby!! I just want to tell you that I think what you are doing is the most selfless act of love one could possibly do. I hope you find an adoptive family that treats you with the respect you deserve

"D"

EllyBelly

I am not sure if it is illegal for you to sign up with more than one adoption agency, especially if you disclose it to them. Did you "unlist" with the first one before "signing up" with the second one. That may be the best thing to do to be sure to protect yourselves. It is illegal however, to make an adoption plan with more than one adoptive couple. Once you make an adoption plan with a couple, that is your contract with them. Basically, you can't make adoption plans and "promise to place your baby" with more than one adoptive couple. I also would recommend looking into working with an attorney. Where are you in CA? I do know of a good attorney in Southern California. PM me if you want his name and number.

I also wish you the best of luck in finding the best and "right" adoptive couple for your baby. If you are looking for an open adoption, I hope you find the perfect "match" for both you and your baby so the years after placement are a comforting and enjoyable experience. You are doing a loving wonderful thing and deserve to find the best match for your baby. We are in the process adopting ourselves (waiting to be matched) and are excited to be able to adopt a little baby soon.
Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!
Ellen

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">