• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Looking for birth records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

irene barbara

What is the name of your state? Florida, When my son was adopted everything was kept a secret of who adopted my son. I only have the birthdate, and where he was born. The Attny. was out of Miami, My son was born in Hialeah, not too far away.
Would the courts were the adoption took place have the adoption records without a name, or should I search for the birth records. Also who would I ask to find out where the birth records are recorded. Everyone I ask are not sure being there was an adoption. This adoption took place 1958.

Last edited:

CO19

irene barbara said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Florida When my son was adopted everything was kept a secret of who adopted my son. I only have the birthdate, and where he was born.
Would the courts were he was adopted have those records, or should I search for the birth records. And when I find were the records were filed, are they open to the public? I feel I am so close, but so far.
> I would recommend calling a licensed private investigator in FL whom specializes in these searches. You may want to contact FALI (www.fali.com ) for a referral.

Good Luck!

BelizeBreeze

Florida Adoption Reunion Registry
Attn: Josette Marquess
1317 Winewood Blvd
Bldg 8, Room 100
Tallahassee, Fl 32399
(850) 488-8000 ext. 103

Kathleen Stephens
Office of Vital Statistics
P. O. Box 210
Jacksonville, Florida 32231
Telephone Number 904/359-6900

The intermediary system in Florida is not a traditional intermediary system as the law merely grants authority for agencies to contact the other party for a searching individual and notify the other party of the availability of the state mutual consent registry.

Except for birth records over 100 years old which are not under seal pursuant to court order, all birth records are considered to be confidential documents and exempt from public inspection; such records may be disclosed only as provided by law. Section 382.025(1), F.S.; AGO 74-70. Cf., s. 383.51, F.S. (the identity of a parent who leaves a newborn infant at a hospital, emergency medical services station, or fire station in accordance with s. 383.50, F.S., is confidential).

Adoption records are confidential and may not be disclosed except as provided in s. 63.162, F.S. An unadopted individual, however, has the right to obtain his or her birth records which include the names of the individual's parents from the hospital in which he or she was born. Atwell v. Sacred Heart Hospital of Pensacola, 520 So. 2d 30 (Fla. 1988).

In the absence of court order issued for good cause shown, the name and identity of a birth parent, an adoptive parent, or an adoptee may not be disclosed unless the birth parent authorizes in writing the release of his or her name; the adoptee, if 18 or older, authorizes in writing the release of his or her name; or, if the adoptee is less than 18, written consent is obtained from an adoptive parent to disclose the adoptee's name; or the adoptive parent authorizes in writing the release of his or her name. Section 63.162(4), F.S. And see, s. 63.165(1), F.S. (state adoption registry); and s. 63.0541, F.S. (putative father registry).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">