• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my boyfriend wants to adopt my 4yr old daughter.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrs.sonnier

We live in houston tx and have been a together for some years now. My littles girls father past away when i was 4 months pregnant with her. so the only father that she knows is my boyfriend she is now 4 and wanted advice on where to start the process of myboyfriend adopting her and changing her l

sandyclaus

We live in houston tx and have been a together for some years now. My littles girls father past away when i was 4 months pregnant with her. so the only father that she knows is my boyfriend she is now 4 and wanted advice on where to start the process of myboyfriend adopting her and changing her l
My first suggestion would be to wait until you decide to get married, THEN consider having your HUSBAND adopt the child. Your own relationship with this man is not fully committed without being married, and you want to make a lifetime commitment of having your own child adopted before that happens? Not a good idea.

Having an unrelated male enter into an adoption at this juncture is never a good idea. What happens if you two break up? Then this man whom you were never married to could end up getting visitation and custody rights over YOUR biological child.

Like I said, get your own relationship on solid ground before considering giving away your own child to an unrelated partner.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Yeah. Not going to happen unless you are willing to have your parental rights terminated also.

Other than that, what SC said.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
My first suggestion would be to wait until you decide to get married, THEN consider having your HUSBAND adopt the child. Your own relationship with this man is not fully committed without being married, and you want to make a lifetime commitment of having your own child adopted before that happens? Not a good idea.

Having an unrelated male enter into an adoption at this juncture is never a good idea. What happens if you two break up? Then this man whom you were never married to could end up getting visitation and custody rights over YOUR biological child.

Like I said, get your own relationship on solid ground before considering giving away your own child to an unrelated partner.
Because the state won't allow it, unless Mom's rights are terminated also. :cool:

HomeGuru

**A: you should be asking for marriage advice first, before asking for adoption advice for your little girl.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">