• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my boyfriend wants to adopt my daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hla_76

What is the name of your state?va

My boyfriend and I are engaged to be married.WE will be getting married probably in the next 6 months or so.My daughter is 13 months old.He is not her b/f,But he has been there for her since she was born.Her real father has never seen her.His choice not mine.what I need to know is,how do we go about him adopting her?He loves her like she is his own.He does everything for her.And she calls him dada.any advice would be helpful.

Shay-Pari'e

hla_76 said:
What is the name of your state?va

My boyfriend and I are engaged to be married.WE will be getting married probably in the next 6 months or so.My daughter is 13 months old.He is not her b/f,But he has been there for her since she was born.Her real father has never seen her.His choice not mine.what I need to know is,how do we go about him adopting her?He loves her like she is his own.He does everything for her.And she calls him dada.any advice would be helpful.
The father needs to grant permission for this. Is there a court order in place regarding anything? Your boyfriend sounds like a wonderful man, but in order for him to adopt your child. You need to consult a local family law attorney in your area, as no one knows the history of the whole relationship.

kat1963

If the bio father (paternity will need to be established prior) doesn't contest, it is possible in the future that your *then* husband could adopt. However, I did read your other posts. You should know that in VA the judge will require several home visits by CPS & possibly mental health evaluations for everyone (considering the age of the child). Termination of parental rights is not something that is taken lightly. Especially if the state is already involved such as in the case of welfare. This makes the process very expensive. Considering your situation, you will need an attorney. You will also need a stable home environment for all 4 of your children. I urge caution on your part, since once CPS is your life,(especially with young children involved) it could become a nightmare. Do not rush this. Take your time, get your life straight. Judges also like to see a marriage of over one year so you have plenty of time.
Good Luck!
KAT

H

hla_76

well for the youngest of my 4,I do get child support for her but there is no visitation at all.He has never seen her in her 13 months here on earth.I am afraid her b/f will not grant permision though.But since he has never seen her it might be a different story.Do you think that will change anything?I could care less about getting his money every week.He does not love this baby at all and never will.My boyfriend does love her and always will.Now for my older 3 daughters.I don't know if he is gonna be able to adopt them.I really dout the father will sign the papers for it even though he has not paied any child support in like 2 years and he has not seen these girls in like 2 years .I will put it this way.If we ever do run into him when we go to the store or what ever,he will come up to us and my 6 year old just looks at him like he is a stranger or somthing.and one day my middle daughter's teacher called and asked if she had a father.The teacher told me She said she did not have a father.And when ever I ask her she just says I dont have a daady.And for my oldest one that is 9,she really dont give 2 hoots.She dont care if she sees him or not.I would love it if my boyfriend would adopt all 4 of them But I dont know if it will work out that way.We already said we are gonna sit down and talk about it when it gets close to time to start to go see the lawyer and all.So we do have a little of time to sit down and talk about everything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">