• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My husband and I have custody of my niece want to adopt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Croyer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
We have had custody of my niece since January 2014. She will be two in 8/13. I picked her up from the hospital at 4 days old and have had her since. It is coming up on 2 years now and want to adopt her. The birth parents are not in the picture. If I didn't pick her up she would be in foster care because of opiates in her system at birth. This is the 3rd child by the parents to be taken away. The first two are already adopted to the foster family. What are our chances of gaining adoption? She is my brother's child. We are the only family she knows.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your matter is beyond the scope of this forum. You will definitely want the assistance of an attorney.

Croyer

Oh I agree! We have retained a family lawyer. I was just wondering if anybody else has been through this type of situation.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
We have had custody of my niece since January 2014. She will be two in 8/13. I picked her up from the hospital at 4 days old and have had her since. It is coming up on 2 years now and want to adopt her. The birth parents are not in the picture. If I didn't pick her up she would be in foster care because of opiates in her system at birth. This is the 3rd child by the parents to be taken away. The first two are already adopted to the foster family. What are our chances of gaining adoption? She is my brother's child. We are the only family she knows.
That's the only question you asked, and it's not a question we can answer. Every case is different.

Croyer

CPS was involved when I picked her up from the hospital and brought her to my home and did supervision until January 2014. The judge granted us custody and CPS has not been involved since. She has our health insurance and started daycare in October because I returned to work. Birth parents have criminal history and have been released from county prison father in May of 2014 and Mother in January 2015.

Just Blue

CPS was involved when I picked her up from the hospital and brought her to my home and did supervision until January 2014. The judge granted us custody and CPS has not been involved since. She has our health insurance and started daycare in October because I returned to work. Birth parents have criminal history and have been released from county prison father in May of 2014 and Mother in January 2015.
You have an attorney. Talk with him/Her regarding this. there is NO WAY strangers on the internet can or should advise you better than a LEGAL ATTORNEY that is more aware of the situation. :)

Just Blue

Oh I agree! We have retained a family lawyer. I was just wondering if anybody else has been through this type of situation.
Yeah...Many people have. But your ATTORNEY knows more about YOUR situation than "anyone else". ;)

Isis1

your chances outside the advice of your attorney are dependent on several factors.

you will have to notify mom and dad of your intentions per the law.

you may or may not have to bring CPS back into the equation.

if mom or dad decide to contest it, you may have to fight it. it's only been 6 months since mom has been out. there still may be time for her to integrate herself back in legally speaking.

getting an attorney to walk you through the process increases your chances of doing this correctly.

Croyer

Sorry no Rights have not yet been relinquished apparently that is the first step before you petition the court for custody. The birth parents are off and on about giving up their rights it will have to be done involuntarily.

Just Blue

Sorry no Rights have not yet been relinquished apparently that is the first step before you petition the court for custody. The birth parents are off and on about giving up their rights it will have to be done involuntarily.
Listen to your ATTORNEY. This is NOT a "do it yourself project"! :rolleyes:

Silverplum

Good luck to you. :)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The parents of the child WILL be a part of the process.

Listen to your attorney.

Croyer

I will listen to my attorney. I came to this site to read advice to other folks in my situation. And every situation is unique. I thank you for your comments.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">