• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name Change Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boricuaitaliano

What is the name of your state? California

I recently found out my present last name is not my real last name so I went through the process of having my name change legally with two last names. I was told by the Court of Sacramento, CA when using two last names your primary last name will be the end last name (Example: Taylor Robertson and Robertson will be my primary last name) which is what I wanted. After the court had approved my new name I then went to the social security office and was told my primary last name would be the first last name instead of the second which would be Taylor . I really dont want to re-do this process and I am not sure who is right, Court house or Social Security. The primary last name means allot to me because the name has died and I want to carry it out.
Any advice would be great and thanks in advance.
Joe

ceara19

boricuaitaliano said:
What is the name of your state? California

I recently found out my present last name is not my real last name so I went through the process of having my name change legally with two last names. I was told by the Court of Sacramento, CA when using two last names your primary last name will be the end last name (Example: Taylor Robertson and Robertson will be my primary last name) which is what I wanted. After the court had approved my new name I then went to the social security office and was told my primary last name would be the first last name instead of the second which would be Taylor . I really dont want to re-do this process and I am not sure who is right, Court house or Social Security. The primary last name means allot to me because the name has died and I want to carry it out.
Any advice would be great and thanks in advance.
Joe
First name is primary.

ceara19

boricuaitaliano said:
California

So what can I do to get this change without going through the whole process again?
Thanks..
There's no way to change it without going back to court. Sorry

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">