• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name change back to birth name after adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Laura12

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Hi all, I didn't really know where to direct this question, so I hope it fits here.

My older sister and I were both born with our father's given name, let's say it was "Smith." Our parents divorced when we were very young, and when my mom remarried, we were adopted by our new stepfather, and they changed our last names to his, "Jones." My mother and legal father (read: step-father) divorced when we were in middle school, and we have both wanted to change our names back to Smith from Jones since then, but were not able to do so since we were not of legal age. We are both still his adopted children, and are fine with that, but want our names to be changed back, as we were not really raised by him and my mother did go back to her maiden name after they divorced as well.

I've done quite a bit of research on how to go about getting your name changed, and while I am willing to fill out the paperwork and all that, I can't help but wonder if there is an easier way to do this, since I am going back to a name that was previously my legal name and is on my original birth certificate (although I did receive a new birth certificate with my adopted name, and still have both). Do I have to go about this like I am getting a brand new name, or is there an easier way since it was my original name and was changed when I was a minor? Any thoughts or help would be very much appreciated. Thanks very much!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">