• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In Need Of Info..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?LA

Okay, I'll make this story as short as possible. In December of 2003, my husband and I took my nephew from my sister (we were going to take care of him until she "got on her feet"). We then moved, with him, 200 miles away from my sister (she was COMPLETELY okay with this). She had a phone number, address, etc. from the very beginning. He was 6 months old at the time. She called to ask about him MAYBE 2 times in the first 6 months we had him. Then on his first birthday (which she wasn't there for), she called and said that she wanted to take him back because her "other kid's were asking about him". All of the sudden it hit us that we couldn't let this happen. We hired a lawyer the next day. When my sister was informed by our lawyer that there would be an investigation into the lives and well being of her other children in order to get information on her ability as a parent, my sister knew she couldn't let that happen. She signed over legal guardianship of him to me (we had no "papers" on him before this). Less than a year later, we moved to Louisiana (we lived in Missouri at the time). Again, she has our phone number, address, etc. She has NEVER called here about him, and NEVER visited him. She has also never provided us with any money to help take care of him. She has seen him only at family functions a few times, and even then doesn't show much interest in him. She has made comments in the past implying that she plans to someday take him back. My husband and I don't discuss the situation with her, but we do not plan to let her have him back. He is now 2 1/2 years old, and will be starting school next year. Before this happens, we would love to adopt him. I would like any information on how to proceed with making this happen. His father is currently in prison, and has not seen him since he was 3 months old. He quickly signed the papers to grant us Guardianship. He has had no contact with him at all. We call him our son to everyone we know, including him, because that's what he is. I look for my sister to react the same way as with the Guardianship. She will dispute this, just to dispute it. We want to make this as smooth as possible, but I am unfamiliar with the laws on this situation. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks for reading...

Last edited:

LdiJ

jennpickles said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?LA

Okay, I'll make this story as short as possible. In December of 2003, my husband and I took my nephew from my sister (we were going to take care of him until she "got on her feet"). We then moved, with him, 200 miles away from my sister (she was COMPLETELY okay with this). She had a phone number, address, etc. from the very beginning. He was 6 months old at the time. She called to ask about him MAYBE 2 times in the first 6 months we had him. Then on his first birthday (which she wasn't there for), she called and said that she wanted to take him back because her "other kid's were asking about him". All of the sudden it hit us that we couldn't let this happen. We hired a lawyer the next day. When my sister was informed by our lawyer that there would be an investigation into the lives and well being of her other children in order to get information on her ability as a parent, my sister knew she couldn't let that happen. She signed over legal guardianship of him to me (we had no "papers" on him before this). Less than a year later, we moved to Louisiana (we lived in Missouri at the time). Again, she has our phone number, address, etc. She has NEVER called here about him, and NEVER visited him. She has also never provided us with any money to help take care of him. She has seen him only at family functions a few times, and even then doesn't show much interest in him. She has made comments in the past implying that she plans to someday take him back. My husband and I don't discuss the situation with her, but we do not plan to let her have him back. He is now 2 1/2 years old, and will be starting school next year. Before this happens, we would love to adopt him. I would like any information on how to proceed with making this happen. His father is currently in prison, and has not seen him since he was 3 months old. He quickly signed the papers to grant us Guardianship. He has had no contact with him at all. We call him our son to everyone we know, including him, because that's what he is. I look for my sister to react the same way as with the Guardianship. She will dispute this, just to dispute it. We want to make this as smooth as possible, but I am unfamiliar with the laws on this situation. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks for reading...
You would not be able to adopt without the consent of both biological parents.

I am aware that in order for the process to be as smooth as it can be, that I would have the consent of both parents. What I am asking, is how do I prove child abandonment, etc. to get their parental rights removed?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">