• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need some information??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jeavesmom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama
We have had legal guardianship of our 2 little ones through DHR for over a year now, Bio Mom only makes effort on case plan right before court . The kids are 1 and 2 and have been with us even before Dhr got involved. We are their family and only home they know. Both were prenatal exposed to drugs ,our 2 year has Mixes development delays and goes through therapy for them .My question is What can we do to keep the kids? We love them dearly .The Bio Mom has no bond with the kids . Is their something we can do ? Or do we just stay on this roller coaster ride? Is it time to get a lawyer?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Have you called the DHR social worker and asked her what the plan is? Where is Dad in all of this?

cyjeff

Before you get flamed within an inch of your life, there is no BIO-mom... she is their mother.

You are not.

Jeavesmom

The Bio dad is not in the picture. And before I start getting all this that the Bio Mom is their Mom ,Yes she gave Birth but just because you give birth that DOES not make you a parent !! We have been the ones there for our little ones not her, we are the ones they call Momma & Daddy so please do not start that stuff ,I just came here for legal advice ,do not comment on stuff you no nothing about!!
We are not licensed foster parents so ,just wondering what legal grounds we can go on ? And what the laws are about things like this?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The Bio dad is not in the picture. And before I start getting all this that the Bio Mom is their Mom ,Yes she gave Birth but just because you give birth that DOES not make you a parent !!
Actually, by legal definition (one of them), it DOES :rolleyes:

They are NOT " our two little ones"

Need advice - pay a lawyer. They may put up with it...but the volunteers here won't.

momofrose

The Bio dad is not in the picture. And before I start getting all this that the Bio Mom is their Mom ,Yes she gave Birth but just because you give birth that DOES not make you a parent !! We have been the ones there for our little ones not her, we are the ones they call Momma & Daddy so please do not start that stuff ,I just came here for legal advice ,do not comment on stuff you no nothing about!!
We are not licensed foster parents so ,just wondering what legal grounds we can go on ? And what the laws are about things like this?
ya see - there are rules you have to play here - one is NOT getting an attitude right off the bat and 2 is not bashing a Sr. Member for (what is) a correct and legal response.

Legally there is a mom and a dad and then there is you and your husband who i assume are legal guardians (?).

Will the mom give up her parental rights? if not (voluntarily) - you may not have a chance in h*ll since she does keep in contact with them.

d

Jeavesmom

Well when the Bio Mom is not in the picture, then someone HAS to care and love these kids!! I just wanted some advice not crap about how the Bio Mom is their Mother ,unless you have been in our place do n:eek:ot say stuff!!

momofrose

I just gave it to you..but I guess you were too busy getting pissed off and highly defensive that you didn't take time to actually READ my post.

You are on your own - ciou!

Jeavesmom

Thank you for the advice ,We have been following the rules since all this started ,to have people say we are not their parents really upsets me because we are . Yes ,The have other parents but until they choose to act it then we are here. It just seems like no one stops to think about the kids in all this .

cyjeff

Thank you for the advice ,We have been following the rules since all this started ,to have people say we are not their parents really upsets me because we are . Yes ,The have other parents but until they choose to act it then we are here. It just seems like no one stops to think about the kids in all this .
okay, maybe if I say this slowly.....

NO, YOU ARE NOT THEIR PARENTS. You are their GUARDIANS. Nothing more.

The fact you have established an emotional attachment means NOTHING in a legal sense.

I have been a stepfather for 10 years. I AM NOT THE PARENT OF MY STEP CHILD... and I am the only male authority figure she knows.

Right now, you are nothing more than a genetic claim jumper and you better get that through your head before a judge impresses it upon you prior to denying your petition.

Jeavesmom

Thank you so much for you reply! Since we have had the kids for over a year and are not licensed fostered parents we just wanted to know what we should do now.

cyjeff

I recommend you try for the adoption... really I do.

However, a couple of things that will come back on you... if the kids call you "Mommy" and "Daddy", you will be seen as trying to replace the children's legal parents.

Judges hate that.

Then, outline what you do for them and make sure you bring your log of all of the parents' visits and communications.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I would suggest reading the Alabama Statutes concerning adoption while you're at it. :rolleyes:

Oh, by the way, I think you owe some other senior members of this board an apology. This board is about legal matters, not emotional matters. Like you've been told, judges don't deal in emotions, just facts, just like we do here.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">