• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

nephew

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kphillips

What is the name of your state? AL

My sister's son has come to live with my husband and I for the past two months. She still lives in Arkansas. She is recieving gov't benifits for him even though he no longer lives with her. The father has been arrested several times and won't pay child support (he says he will quit his job first). She says she won't sign any legal guardianship papers (this would mean loss of gov't benifits), but we want to adopt him. At the very least I have to have something to show that he can get health insurance through my job. She very rarely calls, sends no money, and has no transportation. How can we adopt this child? He has very clearly benifited from the two, concerned parent stable environment. Everyone else in my family would like this to happen and would be willing to back me on this. The father would do whatever he was told, the concern is my sister. Is there some kind of statute that has to do with a length of time that he stays with us?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">