• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Never signed ANY form of paternity do I have any rights to give away?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lyric110603

Tulsa (OK) Was in a relationship about 3 years ago, women cheated on me with 2 other men, actually walked in on her with one of them. She wound up pregneant, said it was mine, then someone elses, then someone elses and the finally settled on me. Have tried to be a part of the childs life, she won't allow it, even told me she would call the police if I showed up during delivery. Now she is getting married and her fiance wants to adopt the child her lawyer told her I would have to sign away my rights. My question is do I even have any rights to sign away? My name is NOT on the birth certificate, he does NOT have my last name, no DNA test has been done (I requested, she refused) and I have NEVER signed anything claiming the child as mine, like I had to do when my daughter was born. - is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

Tulsa (OK) Was in a relationship about 3 years ago, women cheated on me with 2 other men, actually walked in on her with one of them. She wound up pregneant, said it was mine, then someone elses, then someone elses and the finally settled on me. Have tried to be a part of the childs life, she won't allow it, even told me she would call the police if I showed up during delivery. Now she is getting married and her fiance wants to adopt the child her lawyer told her I would have to sign away my rights. My question is do I even have any rights to sign away? My name is NOT on the birth certificate, he does NOT have my last name, no DNA test has been done (I requested, she refused) and I have NEVER signed anything claiming the child as mine, like I had to do when my daughter was born. - is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
The child has no legal father at the moment. Its possible that OK may insist on identifying the biological father (via a DNA test) before proceeding with an adoption. Its also possible that OK will not require that.

Do you want to assert paternity or do you want to allow the adoption to happen?

lyric110603

I have no problem letting her future husband adopt him, he is the one taking care of him since she refuses to let me. But beyond that I would also like to know FOR SURE if the child is mine just for my peace of mind. She has been very manipulative and vindictive in the past so I'm just a little weary that this may be her way of getting around the DNA test so to speak.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I have no problem letting her future husband adopt him, he is the one taking care of him since she refuses to let me. But beyond that I would also like to know FOR SURE if the child is mine just for my peace of mind. She has been very manipulative and vindictive in the past so I'm just a little weary that this may be her way of getting around the DNA test so to speak.
Then why haven't YOU ever sued to establish paternity, custody and visitation?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have no problem letting her future husband adopt him
I would also like to know FOR SURE if the child is mine just for my peace of mind
If you are fine with the adoption, then it really doesn't matter, since the child won't be "yours" after the adoption.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">