• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non Biological Father Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justacalling720

Complicated situation. I am married to my wife and we have 3 children together. We separated for a short while and during that time I was in a relationship with someone else. My wife and I reunited and started over.

My ex became pregant shortly after she and I ended things yet she firnpt believed I am/was the father of her son. I know based on the dates given by the doctor and due date I am not. Anyways my wife and her hated each other for obvious reasons but now we have recently found out she she is homeless, addicted to drugs, her mother passed away and has recently loss custody of her son.

My wife has a big heart for children no matter to whom they belong and she doesnt want to see this child go into the system. She has reached out to my ex and offered her help. My wife has the idea of claiming the child as mine until mt ex completes treatment and can regain custody of her son.

Does anyone know how that would work? Would DFCS allow me to step in as the father and gain guardianship of the child?

RRevak

Are you on the birth certificate? Have you taken a DNA test to assure that you are in fact not the father?

justalayman

If your belief that you are not the father is correct, you have no rights or special standing just because it is the child of a woman you used to sleep with.

If the folks at dcfs have half a brain between them they would shut down your idea before you had a chance to get it entirely out of your mouth.

Think about it; the not the father and the woman who hated the mother taking care of the child. It is a set up for a disaster.

Now, if you are actually the father you would have all rights to seek true custody of the child even to the extent of possibly retaining physical custody even after the mother is doing better.

Proserpina

Complicated situation. I am married to my wife and we have 3 children together. We separated for a short while and during that time I was in a relationship with someone else. My wife and I reunited and started over.

My ex became pregant shortly after she and I ended things yet she firnpt believed I am/was the father of her son. I know based on the dates given by the doctor and due date I am not. Anyways my wife and her hated each other for obvious reasons but now we have recently found out she she is homeless, addicted to drugs, her mother passed away and has recently loss custody of her son.

My wife has a big heart for children no matter to whom they belong and she doesnt want to see this child go into the system. She has reached out to my ex and offered her help. My wife has the idea of claiming the child as mine until mt ex completes treatment and can regain custody of her son.

Does anyone know how that would work? Would DFCS allow me to step in as the father and gain guardianship of the child?
If the State stepped in, typically their plan is for reunification whenever possible.

It likely doesn't matter though; very bluntly, you're nothing to the child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">