• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure if I was adopted now... Need to resolve this soon.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mikey1969

What is the name of your state? UT
Hello all,
About 30 years ago, when my mother died, my aunt and uncle adopted me and we moved out of state. About 10 years later, that adoption was severed by the state of Az, but that doesn't affect this question, I don't think.
When I got a Birth Certificate, it still had my original last name on it, and I had to hae a new SS# issued at 16, because they had nothing for me, today I think I figured out why.
My wife called Vital Records here in Ut(Where I was born, adopted, and now live), and found out that they have NO RECORD of the adoption, as if the final paperwork was never filed. Apparently, Salt Lake County is really good with their records, and the lady on the phone didn't think there was the slightest chance on their end of a mistake. This would explain the Birth Certificate and SS# thing...
What I really need to know is what I do now. I obviously don't have contact with my ex-adoptive parents, and I'm not sure which name I REALLY have, and if I have another SS# floating around out there someplace.
We are being taken on a cruise in August, and now I need to get a passport, so I need to resolve this, but I really have no idea which direction to start in. Is it an option just to start using the name on my birth certificate, and save alot of money and time? Or would that be seen as some kind of fraud?

I hope that I have presented an extremely unique case, but not one that can't be figured out. ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!What is the name of your state?

seniorjudge

About 30 years ago, when my mother died, my aunt and uncle adopted me and we moved out of state. About 10 years later, that adoption was severed by the state of Az, but that doesn't affect this question, I don't think.

Let's start with that. Why was an adoption "revoked"?

Mikey1969

It was revoked because the state found out that my adoptive parents were basically abusing me. The lady here in Ut said that shouldn't matter because there is no record, even from the beginning, of the adoption being filed.

fairisfair

Mikey, what do you mean when you say that the adoption was revoked, do you mean that CPS in AZ took you away from your parents (the "adoptive" ones)? or that there was an actual court proceeding?

I do agree with the lady in UT, they are renowned for their record keeping and geneology sources.

what makes you think that there is another social security card? Don't you think that Social Security would have discovered that when you applied for one at age 16?

Mikey1969

My adoptive parents decided I was a 'problem child', and I ended up in a series of facilities(A Children's Home, 3 hospitals, and a Group Home). When I was in the Group Home, one of the house parents asked if he could use my 'story' for a class project. After I told him everything, the next time my caseworker came, he told me that the state was going to make me a Ward of the Court, and my adoptive parents would no longer be my parents, nor have any control over me. I don't remember if I specifically went to court, but I DO know that I was given the choice of keeping the name I had been using, or reverting back to my original last name.

As for a SS#, they had no record of one ever being issued for me, but when I was younger, and we discussed them in class one day, the teacher asked us to bring our #'s in(This was the early 80's, and identity theft wasn't really a known topic at the time), and my adoptive mother had my number for me to tkae in.

fairisfair

so you have a birth certificate and a social security card with the same name on them right? I would think that would be enough to get you a passport.

Mikey1969

It's got name #2, nobody ever questioned the 'I was adopted' thing, maybe because my middle name(same in both cases) is pretty distinctive, maybe becausee they were lazy...

fairisfair

well, according to what I found, all you need to apply for a passport is a certified copy of your birth certificate. So guess what, now you will have another document with your #1 name.;) :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">