• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Obtaining medical history in closed adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chrysalis139

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I am wondering about the opening of a closed adoption case. I have a friend who was adopted in IL around 1970. Back then, all adoptions were closed. Someone has told her that since the adoption took place more than 30 years ago (not sure the significance of that time window) that she can now file some sort of a petition to open her adoption records to at least learn of her medical history. That doesn't sound right to me but I thought I'd ask here and see if anyone has heard of this. What are her options if she would like to obtain her family medical history?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I am wondering about the opening of a closed adoption case. I have a friend who was adopted in IL around 1970. Back then, all adoptions were closed. Someone has told her that since the adoption took place more than 30 years ago (not sure the significance of that time window) that she can now file some sort of a petition to open her adoption records to at least learn of her medical history. That doesn't sound right to me but I thought I'd ask here and see if anyone has heard of this. What are her options if she would like to obtain her family medical history?
I have heard of something like that but don't know if it would apply to her case.

Medical Information Exchange FAQs

nextwife

Also, if dad was never legally established, the most one might be able to access is mom's medical history.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">