• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

obtaining sealed birth certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tinkherbelly

What is the name of your state? California

hi. my name is lori. i was born in los angeles california and i had the same birth certificate copy my entire life. two years ago, i couldn't find it and went to get a copy at the local records office. they told me that i didn't have one on file that i would have to get it from sacramento california. the lady showed me on the screen (probably wasn't supposed to) that i was born with a different last name and that my parents had it changed after i was born so the records were sealed. i asked my mother if i was adopted. she told me no, but that my father changed his name, thus they changed mine as well. i know that last name that i was born with. i didn't know my father growing up but found out that he changed it because he was still married when he married my mother. i have since met my father's side of the family (with the original last name i had). he passed away in 1985 and was buried and obituary name with original last name. he is in the social security death index with changed name. i want to get a copy of my ORIGINAL sealed birth certificate, but don't know how. i drove all the way to sacramento just to be told that they closed the window for records two days before i got there and so it has to be done in the mail. is there a special form to fill out or do i go to court. also, would social security have past social security benefits for me since i was a minor when he passed away? thanks for your help.

sealed BC

Wow! It really sounds like you where adopted... maybe I'm wrong. But normally only adoption records i.e. Birth Cert. are sealed. I've never heard that when a name is changed on a minor that they seal it too. I would ask your mom for the paperwork showing your name changed. I would keep calling the vital people and ask, ask, ask questions on sealing of records... then you can put two and two together..... Sorry, Not much help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">